Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-18-2008

ereuter is on a distinguished road
Deck plate on cambered cabintop?

I just bought a 4" Nicro Day&Night 2000 to install in the roof of the head compartment on my Pearson 30. The directions say (3 times) that the deck plate cannot be installed where the camber is more than 1/2" over a foot. I'm at a bit over an inch.

Has anyone found a way around this? Could I build up the deck surface with fiberglass or a block of wood? Other ideas?

I desperately need more ventilation, and the boat is just small enough that it's hard to imagine where else to put this thing.

Thanks-
Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You can build up the deck with either a fairing block or using epoxy/fiberglass. Either should work. The epoxy/fiberglass is probably a bit easier to do. If the deck is cored in the area, don't forget to pot the opening and boltholes properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-18-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Defender sell round blocks of teak, if looks are important to you.
Old 04-18-2008

lharmon is on a distinguished road
I think both of the ideas are great and combinable. Use the flat teak plate as your top mont for the nicro and fair it to the camber in your deck. West Systems has instructions on how to do this. It's mainly mixing up some tickened epoxy and filling underneath the block or nicro plate and the deck. You must clean and sand the area first. Taping off the areas where you do not want the epoxy to drip out is good too. The mixture should be very stiff close to peanut butter. I think West Systems calls for 404 as filler but you should look that up as my memory... What was I writing about. Good luck. If you need more info I can drag out the book and look it up - when I get to the boat in the a.m..
Old 04-18-2008
San Juan 26

LittleMissMagic is on a distinguished road
I just installed the 3" version on my boat. If I'm not mistaken I think the installation instructions say if you bed the plate with 5200 instead of screwing into the deck this is an approved method.
Old 04-19-2008

ereuter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissMagic View Post
I just installed the 3" version on my boat. If I'm not mistaken I think the installation instructions say if you bed the plate with 5200 instead of screwing into the deck this is an approved method.
Oh, I didn't read it that way. I wouldn't think 5200 would be sufficient as an adhesive. I thought they meant that if you had a camber within the specifications they list (1/2" over 12"), you should bed it.

Eric
Old 04-19-2008
San Juan 26

LittleMissMagic is on a distinguished road
I went back and read my instructions again. I suppose you do have too much camber for that. 5200 is a pretty good adhesive though.
Old 04-19-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I would not use 5200 and I would screw into the deck. sikaflex 291 or even 4200 for this.
Old 04-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't use 5200 for this.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-19-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Why don't you just install it where the camber is not that much? I personally install them into the actual hatches I have. My Barberis has them installed in 3 of the hatches. Yes it does take away from picture viewing - but it makes practical sense... If I am not mistaken a Pearson has a window hatch forward of the mast?

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or