Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-19-2008

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
Aluminum cleats- repaint black or leave shiny?

I have finished using a wire-wheel to clean all old paint off of my aluminum cleats, and other hardware. As I have read that aluminum is hard to paint (requires special primer, etc) I am considering just leaving them as is.

Question: How long will they stay shiny in the salt water environment? I don't mind cleaning / polishing them a bit, every couple of years. However, if the oxidization / dull look sets in very quickly, and is hard to ward off, I will probably paint them again -
If I do paint them, I will likely not bother with caustic primers, etc, realizing touch ups will be needed every few years, where ropes wear paint off, etc.

Advice?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2008

Whitebear is on a distinguished road
aluminum shiny or not

Hi
To answer your question. You do not want your aluminum shiny. That dull grey appearance is the hard oxidized aluminum that will protect the rest of your aluminum. Unlike iron oxide which falls off and is soft. Aluminum oxide is very hard and does not fall off. So every time you scape off that dull aluminum oxide you are wearing away your cleats much faster then you need too. The only real danger to your cleats long term ( aside from your scraping the oxide layer off) is electrical current and since your cleats are not likely to encounter such current.

Additional information. Aluminum is know as an amphoteric material. This means it is an acid or base depending on what it is reacting with. Eg. if you wash it with acid it will behave as a base and if you wash it with base it will behave as and acid.

So
leave your cleats alone

Whitebear
Old 04-19-2008

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
My guess is that they were originally anodized. Even with the special primer, paint doesn't adhere terribly well to aluminum. I'd be inclined to leave them alone; they'll get a dull grey in fairly short order, or replace them with stainless.
Old 04-19-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
If you really want them to be painted, get them powder coated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 04-19-2008

jimmyb116 is on a distinguished road
Have them anodized black (it will cost almost as much as new ones) but make sure it is hard anodizing or it wont stand up long.
Old 04-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Powder coating or black anodization are the best ideas... However, I'd recommend switching to stainless steel or bronze cleats. Aluminum is far more prone to corrosion, has galvanic issues with stainless steel fasteners and is subject to fatigue and failing without much warning.

Stainless steel or bronze cleats would probably cost just a bit more than getting the existing cleats powder coated or anodized, and reduce future maintenance problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-20-2008
Is it Spring yet?

MABON01 is on a distinguished road
I'll second the motion to move to stainless. If you want to keep the Al. find a place that does anodizing near you. Here (Indiana) I use "Remote Control" to do my andozing, Have them strip and hard coat (Black only). They are a favorite son as I use then for my work as well.... Govt. jobs are great...
Link to their site " www . rci - products . com " Note had to add spaces because I don't have enough posts to add links.
Valparaiso, IN
Lake Michigan