Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-19-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Westmarine - the good and the bad

Hello,

Westmarine has received a lot of posts lately. Here is one more.

Yesterday I was down at the boat putting on the last two coats of bottom paint. After the first coat was done I needed to wait a few hours before I could apply coat two. To use the time wisely I decided to start up the engine.

I checked all the connections, everything looked good. I drained a little fuel out of the racor water separater, everything looked good. So I energized the glow plugs, then started the engine. She started right up and ran great. I was checking connections, water, etc.

Then I noticed some diesel leaking from the fuel filter. I shut the engine down and examined the filter. An o ring seemed to have grown - it didn't fit between the filter and the water bowl at the bottom.

There is a Westmarine about 10 minutes from the yard, and they had a replacement filter in stock.

The price was too high - $32 as compared to $23 at defender, but I had it in my hands, installed it, bled the fuel system and restarted the engine 30 minutes later. No leaks, and the engine is good to go.

Westmarine - not great prices, but very convenient.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BarryL; 04-20-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Barry, et. al

There's good news: West Marine has re-instated it's price matching policy. They will match any price you can find and document.

Suggest for next purchase, cruise the Internet, print out relevant pages, and take to your nearest West Marine.

The new CEO is reportedly a sailor, and maybe just will set West Marine back on a proper course.

Let's hope so!

Bill
Old 04-19-2008
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Try to come up with a Port Supply Card - easy to get if you have even the remotest legitimate business - or know someone well who does relating to the marine industry. Fill out the form and $ave, $ave, $ave. Not as much as an employee discount which is easy to get, too, if you're willing to work for eight dollars an hour - may be worth it for a few weeks if you're doing a lot of work on your boat.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. Youíve got to buy her things. Youíve got to understand everything about her. What you donít know sheíll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-19-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
No so easy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandSusanMacDonald View Post
Try to come up with a Port Supply Card - easy to get if you have even the remotest legitimate business - or know someone well who does relating to the marine industry. Fill out the form and $ave, $ave, $ave. Not as much as an employee discount which is easy to get, too, if you're willing to work for eight dollars an hour - may be worth it for a few weeks if you're doing a lot of work on your boat.
Port Supply cards are not that easy to get! You really can't be a Realtor or convenience store owner and get a Port supply card, at lest up here with my rep.. My rep up here, Matt, required a Maine business license number, sales tax re-sale certificate and references of other marine wholesale accounts I had such as Bainbrige. The prices are decent but I still do better at Hamilton (commercial account also).

For example the West Marine ACP multi-season ablative is $179.00 retail and $139.00 Port Supply..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 04-19-2008

Bhacurly is on a distinguished road
I was in WM the other day, really the only place in town to get sail gear. I was told also that they have a new CEO and his philosophy is that lower prices will generate more sales than the higher ones,,, and I could expect to see prices becoming more competitive in the near future.

Was told to keep reciepts for the 90 day whatever and I may be able to get some $$ back or at least applied to future purchases... we'll see I guess

FWIW

Billy
Old 04-19-2008

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
I've seen and read lots of stuff about WM and their prices and how services at some outlet was down right bad. But for people outside of US, like in Asia, WM is almost a god send. Things we can't get or too pricy, we got at WM via post and price is still reason after factoring shipping (cheapest amongst all marine store I've ordered from) & local taxes. Ordering from WM is predictable and the ordering page is very very well done. We could even check the shipping cost and adjust the orders to suit. That to me and my friends here is a very big plus. Yes, WM prices are at times seems high, but the shipping cost from other marine site is no small beer either. SO at the end of the day, buying from WM or other marine site seems sort of balance out BUT, there is ALWAYS the certainty when buying from WM AND orders arrived on time (and sometime ahead of estimated delivery date) and on traget. That's my feel about West Marine. Sorry if this rubs others' experience but this is how people out side US experience it. Cheers!
Old 04-19-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
It is always a YMMV event.. I bought my outboard for a fraction of the new price as they agreed to my terms buying the show model.. Hate to say it this way - but it is about personal relations sometimes. When you are in all the time and the staff get to know you and your spending habits you get more leverage and that goes for any store you go to. I do hope tho that they become more competitive off the cuff because alot of customers really do not want to deal with rebates, and price matching - they just want to go to one place and think they walk away ok price wise...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 04-19-2008
Swabbing the deck

Watermelon is on a distinguished road
yeah, West Marine can be great for just-in-time shopping. I needed to pick up 50' of line, which I knew they had. I'm sure I might have found a better deal somewhere else, but it'd take a bit of time to ship. And I needed that line today. Turned out that they had a sale on the lines, so that was helpful
Old 04-19-2008

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
I bought a TV at Tweeter and before I cashed out, the guy went online and checked the price of competitors and automatically matched the lowest one so I didn't have to play the bring in the other guy's ad game. I was duly impressed and they are now my first choice for electronics. If WM did the same thing, I'd start going back there.
Old 04-20-2008
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandSusanMacDonald View Post
Try to come up with a Port Supply Card - easy to get if you have even the remotest legitimate business - or know someone well who does relating to the marine industry. Fill out the form and $ave, $ave, $ave.
A Port Supply wholesale account requires a business license, a retail seller's permit and proof of advertising or a web site promoting your marine-related business. You basically have to be a legitimate marine business to have a Port Supply account- as it should be. Shame on anybody who advocates cheating the system to the detriment of not only Port Supply but the small marine businessman who retails what he bought wholesale from Port Supply.