Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-20-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Brak I have been meaning to post a thread about this, but I need to get the details from SimonV first.
For docking there is a way to determine a point on your rail that will hold the boat even while the engine is in forward. At that point, you attach a line to the rail or a cleat etc. As you come in slow to dock, take the end of that line and hook it over the last cleat on the dock, snug it up so the boat is even, and take a wrap so it holds the boat. With the boat still in a gentle forward, the placement of the line on the boat is such that the boat will remain even with the dock. The bow or stern will not drift. Use a long line so you can hold the end as you step off the boat and attach other lines, then get back on and shut off the engine.
We have used it on his boat and it works like a charm. Simon learned it from another fellow that has a 47'er and it works for him too. The trick is to find that center of effort, which is somewhere aft of the beam.

Vaya con Dios
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
We call that the "oh sh*t" line on our boat.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 04-20-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
We call that the "oh sh*t" line on our boat.
You must trust the force...... I have done the last minute lasso from the stern before too, not fun.

I know it sounds risky, but if you come in slow it works really well. No need for reverse. Simon's boat is a cut away full keel at close to 20k lbs I think. The reverse, like Braks, is useless. With my fin keel, spade rudder, and light weight, a short blast of reverse does the trick.

Vaya con Dios
Old 04-20-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend View Post
We have used it on his boat and it works like a charm. Simon learned it from another fellow that has a 47'er and it works for him too. The trick is to find that center of effort, which is somewhere aft of the beam.
Interesting and I will try to find it, thanks!

However, it won't help in this dock - it is a short finger pier, with only pilings on both sides until the boat is all the way in. To make matters slightly worse, pilings are uneven - I am in the last slip of relatively appropriate size, so pilings on the right side go all the way to the stern, but on the left they end 2/3 the way from the bow (so there isn't anything to grab until I am properly inside the slip)
Old 04-20-2008
Sea Slacker

Yep, and i guess I also have been spoiled - my previous boat was a flat bottom, attached keel (and mechanically linked steering) and I could just drive her into the slip backwards exactly the same way I'd do it in the forward gear - just turn around and steer
Old 04-20-2008
Hitchin' a ride

I think I missed something. You have a 2/3 finger on the port side and a full finger on starboard? Or no finger on Starboard?

Also, that procedure I mentioned requires that you wait until the boat is almost all the way in the slip before you can lasso the last cleat, hence the "oh sh*t". Although if you line up correctly, you should be very close to the finger and able to lean over and loop it around the cleat.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 04-20-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-20-2008
Sea Slacker

There is only a short finger on the port side (or is the "finger" not the right name? What do you call those short slips that only protrude 4-5' from the main walkway?). Then there is another pile on port side another 20-25' out. On the stbd side there are only piles - 5-6' in, then 25' and then all the way aft (35'+).
Nothing to step on either side, and the initial lining up is the main issue really. I tend to dock VERY slowly which means a lot of opportunity to get blown or prop walked away.
Old 04-20-2008
Hitchin' a ride

Okay, now I got it. There was a guy at my old marina with the exact same problem. He was in the last slip before a wall so he could not turn around and come in upwind. He came in downwind and the wind was over his starboard beam as he turned to dock. Now first let it be known that he has a Jeanneau. With that said, he came down the fairway backwards. As he made his turn into the slip, he used that last piling, the upwind one on his now port side. I can't remember exactly what he did, but he wrapped a line around it and worked the boat into the slip using the pilings. He did this on a regular basis with two people. If you can figure out a way to use those pilings to your advantage, either in forward or reverse, that might be the way to go. You can also buy fenders for the pilings, if your marina will allow, and just pinball it in! Seriously, the fenders would give you piece of mind.

Good luck.

Vaya con Dios
Old 04-20-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Always approach the dock at the speed at which you intend to hit it. (Not a John Vigor axiom, more like one of Murphy's corollaries, and Murphy was an optimist)

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-20-2008

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
If when you say you have a right hand prop as marked and the stern goes to starboard you mean in reverse as I think you meant then something is awry.
Normally a right hand prop turns clockwise viewed from astern in forward and gives starboard prop walk in forward and vv. Most single motors are RH.
However I gather some Volvos are not. If you had the wrong prop on the motor would be inefficient in forward and I imagine have greater than usual prop walk in reverse but to STB.
I gather that at least if it is a saildrive the rotation direction can be hanged simply.
Perhaps you need to check which direction the shaft or prop actually turn in, in forward viewed from astern.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.