If anyone remembers (or cares), I bought a 1986 O'day 35 in the fall of 2006. When I bought the boat, the surveyor pointed out that the bottom paint
was in poor condition. I got the boat for a good price, so I was OK with that.
This winter / spring I decided to remove all the old paint
, fair the keel, barrier coat, and repaint.
Read on if you would like to see some images.
How the boat originally looked:
Note the faded, oxidized strips, dull gelcoat, and, of course, poor condition of the bottom paint
. I tried to remove the bottom paint
with chemicals, sanding, scraping, and finally gave up and called the soda blaster!
Here is a shot right after soda blasting.
The soda blasting did a great job of removing the old bottom paint without
damaging the gel coat. A guy in the yard had his bottom sand blasted. What a mess that made of the hull. He has spent many hours filling holes.
The soda blast took off some of the old barrier coat, but not all. Next I removed the last bit of bottom paint below the stripe, and then sanded the hull with 80 grit paper.
Hull after final sanding.
Since the boat was on land and it was too cold to work on the bottom, and the topsides were dull, I wanted to clean the topsides. I agree that the best way to do this is the 'right' way of wet sand, compound, polish, wax. However, I'm not good at any of that stuff, I don't have the money to pay someone who is, and I don't have the time to learn how. So it was wet sand the stripes, poliprep the hull and then use poliglow.
After. The entire process took about 12 hours (8 for sanding and poliprep, 4 for 5 coats of poliglow)
Now it was time to redo the keel, which was in poor condition.
First coat of fairing compound. I used Quickfair from System 3. It seemed easy to work with, but I have nothing to compare it too.
All faired and ready for paint. I did 3 cycles of 'fair / sand' to get it ready. To be honest, for a real good finish it probably needed at least one more. However, I don't plan on racing, and the finish is a whole lot better than it was.
I used Pettit Protect, simply because it was on sale at Westmaine. I paid $50 / gallon because I bought Pettit bottom paint (on sale for $79 / gallon). I saved over $300 by not using Interlux. Hopefully I won't regret that. The pettit stuff was easy to mix and apply. I followed the directions very carefully and applied 3 coats.
18 hours later it was time for bottom pain. The first coat was black, the next two red.
And the keel:
Launch day should be next week!
Between the redone bottom and the new headsail I have on order (replacing an original 150 genoa), I hope for significantly better sailing performance.