Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Talking bottom paint 1, me 2, all done, LONG, lots of pics

Hello,

If anyone remembers (or cares), I bought a 1986 O'day 35 in the fall of 2006. When I bought the boat, the surveyor pointed out that the bottom paint was in poor condition. I got the boat for a good price, so I was OK with that.

This winter / spring I decided to remove all the old paint, fair the keel, barrier coat, and repaint.

Read on if you would like to see some images.

How the boat originally looked:

Note the faded, oxidized strips, dull gelcoat, and, of course, poor condition of the bottom paint. I tried to remove the bottom paint with chemicals, sanding, scraping, and finally gave up and called the soda blaster!

Here is a shot right after soda blasting.

The soda blasting did a great job of removing the old bottom paint without
damaging the gel coat. A guy in the yard had his bottom sand blasted. What a mess that made of the hull. He has spent many hours filling holes.

The soda blast took off some of the old barrier coat, but not all. Next I removed the last bit of bottom paint below the stripe, and then sanded the hull with 80 grit paper.

Hull after final sanding.

Since the boat was on land and it was too cold to work on the bottom, and the topsides were dull, I wanted to clean the topsides. I agree that the best way to do this is the 'right' way of wet sand, compound, polish, wax. However, I'm not good at any of that stuff, I don't have the money to pay someone who is, and I don't have the time to learn how. So it was wet sand the stripes, poliprep the hull and then use poliglow.

Before

During

After. The entire process took about 12 hours (8 for sanding and poliprep, 4 for 5 coats of poliglow)

Now it was time to redo the keel, which was in poor condition.

Fairing

First coat of fairing compound. I used Quickfair from System 3. It seemed easy to work with, but I have nothing to compare it too.

All faired and ready for paint. I did 3 cycles of 'fair / sand' to get it ready. To be honest, for a real good finish it probably needed at least one more. However, I don't plan on racing, and the finish is a whole lot better than it was.

Barrier coat.

I used Pettit Protect, simply because it was on sale at Westmaine. I paid $50 / gallon because I bought Pettit bottom paint (on sale for $79 / gallon). I saved over $300 by not using Interlux. Hopefully I won't regret that. The pettit stuff was easy to mix and apply. I followed the directions very carefully and applied 3 coats.

18 hours later it was time for bottom pain. The first coat was black, the next two red.

And the keel:

Launch day should be next week!

Between the redone bottom and the new headsail I have on order (replacing an original 150 genoa), I hope for significantly better sailing performance.

Barry
dacap06 and jameswilson29 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BarryL; 04-21-2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: update
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
....Launch day should be next week!....Between the redone bottom and the new headsail I have on order (replacing an original 150 genoa), I hope for significantly better sailing performance...
In return for a significantly thinner wallet, no doubt!

Nice documentation, I'm sure you're glad that job is done. You will no doubt notice a huge improvement.

Now it's time to enjoy the boat.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-25-2008

alaskaboy is on a distinguished road
Barry,
Good job and a lot of satisfaction I'm sure. I covered up a lot of ugliness with 3 coats of bottom paint recently but will use your example in 2-3 years when the paint in coming off.

Clay

Last edited by alaskaboy; 12-25-2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: misssspelling
Old 12-26-2008

nightowle is on a distinguished road
please keep us posted on the polyglow performance. I was disappointed with blotchy looking stains that occurred after about 6 months.
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.
Old 12-26-2008

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowle View Post
please keep us posted on the polyglow performance. I was disappointed with blotchy looking stains that occurred after about 6 months.
FWIW, the grey hull of our O'day 322 still looked great when we sold the boat a year after we applied poliglow.
Old 12-26-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Poliglow

Hello,

I have used Poliglow on a few boats. IMHO, it holds up well. I haven't had yellowing problems. Again, I think that wax looks better, but Poliglow is much easier to apply.

My boat was hauled in November, and the hull still looks shiny. There are some marks on it from the dingy rub rail, dock incidents, etc. In the spring I will strip off the bad poliglow and then apply fresh.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BarryL; 06-06-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-23-2009

RMS9915 is on a distinguished road
Thanks BarryL -- All updates appreciated

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the chronology, complete with photos! Please let us know how the spring redo of the Poli-Glow goes.

Rosemarie
Old 01-28-2009

resdog is on a distinguished road
Looks nice!
Old 04-11-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: bottom paint 1, me 2, all done, test

Thanks for your post in the other thread pointing here.

I have an '87 Oday 35 (it would be interesting to compare HINs), and am about to go through the same process.

Last year, I sanded the bottom with 80 grit, and applied 2 coats of WestMarine CPP in the spring. All looked good when I splashed. However, after she was hauled, the paint started falling off. It appears as though the original bottom paint (no one knows how old) continued to decay, and flaked off - in big chunks. Right now I have about 3 square feet where I can see the original Gelcoat (it looks good too!).
Old 08-14-2012

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Re: bottom paint 1, me 2, all done, test

BarryL,
How did you get rid of the "scuff" marks on the white topsides in photos 3 & 4 before you applied the poliglow?
Thanks