Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-20-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Fuel Funnels for Polishing

Has anyone used a fuel funnel for removing water and dirt from there diesel fuel ? I had plans to drain my fuel tank yesterday and clean the tank, thinking the tank was near empty only to find it was near full. It is a 42 gallon tank. I am looking at this product.

West Marine: Fuel Filter Funnels Product Display

Practical sailor did a reveiw which can be found here.
Fuel Filter Article
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Freesail99; 04-20-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Freesail-

they'll help, if you have some way of transferring the fuel through the funnel and back into the tank...and I would imagine that you could "polish" the fuel in a rough way doing this for an extended period of time... but IMHO, if you can afford the parts to install a proper fuel polishing system, you probably should.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-20-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Freesail,

I planned on doing the same thing to get the big chunks and water out at least. I figured it would be better than nothing and a good start. If you beat me to it, let us know how it worked out.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 04-20-2008

I have a small pump and enough hose that I could do this. The polishing systems that I looked at, well right now I don't want to afford them. As we all know we can justify anything to ourselves.

It just seemed that the Practical sailor article was so positive and the funnel at $35 cheap, seemed very doable in a couple of hours and would have to improve the condition of my tank and fuel, both of which, I have no idea, how bad or good they are. It just seemed like the prudent thing to do ( clean the tank ). I am just wondering if anyone has used the funnel ?
Old 04-20-2008

While I am on this topic has anyone used the Algae-X AFC-705 Fuel Additive ? Is it any good, or is there something better out there ?
Old 04-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I've used the fuel funnels and think they're a good idea when you're filling up and would do a good basic job of helping clean up your existing fuel. Get the biggest funnel you can afford—makes spills less likely.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-20-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Free...I used that exact filter through the Caribe (and with excellent results based on the crap it filtered) whenever I filled up outside of the USA.
The problm with your proposal is that you need to stir up the crap that is in your tanks to get it all out...then the funnel is quite slow at letting you put the fuel back in.
Old 04-20-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I've used the fuel funnels and think they're a good idea when you're filling up and would do a good basic job of helping clean up your existing fuel. Get the biggest funnel you can afford—makes spills less likely.
The largest funnel listed says it needs a 2 inch opening. Not sure many have one that big. I thought about the funnel tipping over and was thinking of building a plywood stand that it would sit in and which would support the funnel on deck.
Old 04-20-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We removed dirty fuel from our tank through an access port using our vacuum-pump oil changing tank, put it all into jerry cans through a filter medium, mucked out the tank and then returned the fuel to the tank filtering it again. New filters at the same time, of course and things were fine again.

Not full on "polishing" I suppose, and long and messy work, but it does the trick. using the oil changing tank made the removal process very contained, if slow (about 1 1/2 gal/tankful)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-20-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Hey Free,

I'm searching myself for an outside company to come "polish" my fuel (actually I don't really want it back.. they can have it.. i want my tank cleaned...)

anyway... here's someone that may be able to help you with any questions.. in your area... Apparently they polish fuel... I mean.. the internet never lies does it?

APPLICATION ASSOCIATES
252 Lackland Dr., Box488, Middlesex, NJ 08846,
Tel: (800) 327-2247

craig

I love

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.