Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-23-2008
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Electric Windlass Questions....

I've always wanted all chain and with the new boat, now I have it! If course with this comes a windlass. Manual currently, and a few times up and down with that and I'm looking seriously at getting an electric one.

Specs: 41ft boat 30,000lb displacement. 300ft 3/8" chain. Normal anchoring depth 20-50ft.
So, the questions:

Do y'all have experience or suggestions for particular brands or models?

Is this an item I could look at getting used and take to a starter motor rebuild shop or should I definitely go new$$?

Battery in the bow or HUGE cables going aft to the battery (would be about a 45-50ft cable run to the main battery bank)

Should I keep the old windlass on board for when the new one packs-up in st. bora-tonga or are they reliable enough?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

MedSailor
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Disclaimer: I've bought all the equipment and have yet to install it, but here's what I hope is the right decision.

Our boats are about identical in size. I have a steel pilothouse cutter we are readying for long-term voyaging.

I purchased a Lofrans Tigre 1200 manual/electric windlass. Go new for the warranty. However, it is conceivable that one could build an electric windlass, or convert a manual. You'd have to be both handy and scrupulous about the construction to keep the water out, however.

Keep the old windlass if you buy an electric, but obviously I've opted for both options in one unit.

My plans are to have an entirely isolated deep cycle in the bow (where the workshop is) to keep the cables short and as cheap as possible, and naturally to reduce line loss. Also, it keeps everything in this area VISIBLE and ACCESSIBLE, which I consider important for this piece of equipment. I plan on having a separate charger for this battery for shoreside, plus a way to route charge to it to it via ship's AC, which would come from the main inverter. In addition, I can charge it via a Honda 2000. 50 feet of thumb-sized cable, plus the labour involved in running it and securing it properly, would be more expensive.

Windlasses can and do fail. Again, do research and reviews and make sure your installation is bulletproof...or waterproof.

I have the horizontal type with two capstans...one for rope and the other for 3/8" chain. This is because I have an "anchor well" on deck...there is no chain locker below and therefore it's inherently dry below deck as long as I have the cables, foot buttons and mounting bolts fully sealed. I chose horizontal for this reason and because I intend to use it to raise and lower the mast on its tabernacle, plus to rig purchases to take on cargo, tenders, etc. Vertical windlasses make more sense in some installations, just not mine.

I would definitely keep an old, manual and working windlass if I had the room (I do), because it would be unbelievably handy at the stern for retrieving stern anchors, warps, drogues and half a dozen other uses. It's just a glorified winch, after all, and nobody throws those out until they've pretty well exploded!
Old 04-23-2008

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
I ended up with a Quick Hector. A bit difficult to find a dealer in the US. I ended up with CyberBridge Marine and was quite satisfied with the price and the dealer.

Just so you know, I don't have much experience with a windless.