SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Washing ablative bottom paint is a crime? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/42550-washing-ablative-bottom-paint-crime.html)

wnor 04-24-2008 06:03 PM

Washing ablative bottom paint is a crime?

My routine for maintenance of ablative bottom paint (Micron CSC) is to have the boat pressure washed on haul-out for the winter, and every three years in the spring to wash it with Joy and a big sponge+Scotchpad combo, then apply two-three coats of paint, depending on the location (more on the rudder, stem, etc.). This spring the yard owner very much took me to task for washing the boat as above, claiming that only dry sanding with a dustless sander is permitted under Connecticut state law. I could not verify this on Connecticut's "Clean Marina" website. Dry sand ablative bottom paint? Can a guy with a bucket of Joy and sponge be a menace to the planet?

erps 04-24-2008 06:11 PM

You're not supposed to pull the tags off you pillows either.

blt2ski 04-24-2008 08:07 PM

Reason being, is the paint has copper etc in it, and when you wash as you are, the copper goes down the drain to polute the local area. Likewise, most marina's do not want you going down scuba wise, and toweling of the bottom, or as some dockmates that race with hard paints, use a brush to clean off the bottom before a race either.

marty

billyruffn 04-24-2008 08:18 PM

What's the difference between having ablative paint wear off by moving through the water and washing it off? Only difference I can detect is that in one case the boat is moving and the water is not, and in the other the boat is not moving and the water is. Go figure!

And while you're figuring it out.....stop breathing! You're putting CO2 into the atmosphere with every breath you take.

jjablonowski 04-24-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnor (Post 304604)
... claiming that only dry sanding with a dustless sander is permitted ...

And what's done with the collected dry dust? Did you ask the owner that?

What if you rinsed out the sponge in a bucket, let the swarf settle to the bottom, then present that sludge to the yard owner? ;)

billyruffn 04-24-2008 08:41 PM

Before we get too hard on the yard owners......keep in mind the fact that the state environmental nazis are holding them (not us) responsible for the practices in their yards. As my yard put it recently, and I'm paraphrasing, "If you guys don't to it the right way we're going to have to stop allowing owners to do DIY maintenance.....we just can't take the legal liability for your screw ups".

If I were a yard owner I might feel the same way. As a boat owner....I really appreciate being able to do my own maintenance -- so in spite of the fact that I think the states are probably going overboard, I'm willing to cut the yard owners some slack.

jimmyb116 04-24-2008 08:42 PM

Thats funny every time I haul the yard pressure washes the CSC off my boat what is the difference surly a sponge dose less damage.

erps 04-24-2008 09:07 PM

Actually, our local yards paid big bucks to have their run off go into a closed loop collection system. So all the stuff coming off the boat doesn't actually run into the bay. They also have air monitoriing units around at least one yard I've used to sample the air for toxic dust. So the yards are being monitored and their livelyhoods can be impacted for not following "best practices".

Giulietta 04-24-2008 09:26 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Your Country is very funny...really is...

so you can't wash a product that goes in the water, but you can have a Hummer...

you guys crack me up...."one says kill the other hang him".....

blt2ski 04-24-2008 10:35 PM

Probably the main reason, is to keep said stuff from getting too thick in a given area. While a bit here, a bit there is not a big deal, when you put those bits on top of ea other in one spot, you then end up with places that fall into the toxic waste problem. Then in some cases, one needs to spend money to contain, or clean up.

This is one of those, I use chemicals at work, ie insecticides, herbicides etc, but prefer to keep the use to a minimum. I use them, but unlike some folks, that avaid them like the plague, one has to have trade offs. But, if you rub cleaned you boat bi weekly over a period of time, granted in salt water, the tide would move some of said compound around, but MOST, would end up under your boat, creating its own little pile of copper or equal that would/kill organisms under you. This is to a degree what the marinas are trying to avoid, such that they get fined etc

Your boat itself is not the issue, it is when your boat plus a dozen others do the same thing ea day that eventually causes issues.

Same as DDT yrs ago, a little here, a little there, and all of a sudden, we have the US national symbol on the brink of extinction because the DDT went thru the food chain, from insects to small animals that bald eagles eat, and they are not laying eggs with thick enough shells, babys are not living etc... So any way, off on a soap box, but with similar issues. Same as locally Dursban, a good insecticide for bugs, that has worked thru the food chain hurting local salmonoid runs. SOme of what I said is not the only issue, but part of the overall issue with things.

Cut them ie owners of the marinas some slack and move on, not the end of the world......yet.

Marty