Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-24-2008

wnor is on a distinguished road
Washing ablative bottom paint is a crime?

My routine for maintenance of ablative bottom paint (Micron CSC) is to have the boat pressure washed on haul-out for the winter, and every three years in the spring to wash it with Joy and a big sponge+Scotchpad combo, then apply two-three coats of paint, depending on the location (more on the rudder, stem, etc.). This spring the yard owner very much took me to task for washing the boat as above, claiming that only dry sanding with a dustless sander is permitted under Connecticut state law. I could not verify this on Connecticut's "Clean Marina" website. Dry sand ablative bottom paint? Can a guy with a bucket of Joy and sponge be a menace to the planet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
You're not supposed to pull the tags off you pillows either.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 04-24-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Reason being, is the paint has copper etc in it, and when you wash as you are, the copper goes down the drain to polute the local area. Likewise, most marina's do not want you going down scuba wise, and toweling of the bottom, or as some dockmates that race with hard paints, use a brush to clean off the bottom before a race either.

marty
Old 04-24-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
What's the difference between having ablative paint wear off by moving through the water and washing it off? Only difference I can detect is that in one case the boat is moving and the water is not, and in the other the boat is not moving and the water is. Go figure!

And while you're figuring it out.....stop breathing! You're putting CO2 into the atmosphere with every breath you take.
Old 04-24-2008

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnor View Post
... claiming that only dry sanding with a dustless sander is permitted ...
And what's done with the collected dry dust? Did you ask the owner that?

What if you rinsed out the sponge in a bucket, let the swarf settle to the bottom, then present that sludge to the yard owner?
Old 04-24-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Before we get too hard on the yard owners......keep in mind the fact that the state environmental nazis are holding them (not us) responsible for the practices in their yards. As my yard put it recently, and I'm paraphrasing, "If you guys don't to it the right way we're going to have to stop allowing owners to do DIY maintenance.....we just can't take the legal liability for your screw ups".

If I were a yard owner I might feel the same way. As a boat owner....I really appreciate being able to do my own maintenance -- so in spite of the fact that I think the states are probably going overboard, I'm willing to cut the yard owners some slack.
Old 04-24-2008

jimmyb116 is on a distinguished road
Thats funny every time I haul the yard pressure washes the CSC off my boat what is the difference surly a sponge dose less damage.
Old 04-24-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Actually, our local yards paid big bucks to have their run off go into a closed loop collection system. So all the stuff coming off the boat doesn't actually run into the bay. They also have air monitoriing units around at least one yard I've used to sample the air for toxic dust. So the yards are being monitored and their livelyhoods can be impacted for not following "best practices".
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 04-24-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Your Country is very funny...really is...

so you can't wash a product that goes in the water, but you can have a Hummer...

you guys crack me up...."one says kill the other hang him".....
Old 04-24-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Probably the main reason, is to keep said stuff from getting too thick in a given area. While a bit here, a bit there is not a big deal, when you put those bits on top of ea other in one spot, you then end up with places that fall into the toxic waste problem. Then in some cases, one needs to spend money to contain, or clean up.

This is one of those, I use chemicals at work, ie insecticides, herbicides etc, but prefer to keep the use to a minimum. I use them, but unlike some folks, that avaid them like the plague, one has to have trade offs. But, if you rub cleaned you boat bi weekly over a period of time, granted in salt water, the tide would move some of said compound around, but MOST, would end up under your boat, creating its own little pile of copper or equal that would/kill organisms under you. This is to a degree what the marinas are trying to avoid, such that they get fined etc

Your boat itself is not the issue, it is when your boat plus a dozen others do the same thing ea day that eventually causes issues.

Same as DDT yrs ago, a little here, a little there, and all of a sudden, we have the US national symbol on the brink of extinction because the DDT went thru the food chain, from insects to small animals that bald eagles eat, and they are not laying eggs with thick enough shells, babys are not living etc... So any way, off on a soap box, but with similar issues. Same as locally Dursban, a good insecticide for bugs, that has worked thru the food chain hurting local salmonoid runs. SOme of what I said is not the only issue, but part of the overall issue with things.

Cut them ie owners of the marinas some slack and move on, not the end of the world......yet.

Marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.