Electric Propulsion - solidnav.com - Page 12 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
  #111  
Old 05-01-2008
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,192
Thanks: 50
Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
Rep Power: 14
knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Knot...we know you're a rigger...the problem comes when someone tries to hide what they are and then make comments to enhance their personal business. Not that you have ever done so...but if for any reason you decide to take that stance...then simply post your affiliation in your signature.
Thanks Cam. I probably won't take that stance but with the economy the way it is I may resort to anything to drum up business. I'm not proud.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #112  
Old 05-01-2008
engele's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
engele is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
It was and is definitive. I alluded to it my previous posts in this thread. You say you have done research on this but failed to find any of it? Your research must have began and ended at Solidnav.com

Bendytoy's literature on the Lagoon 42 has this info publically available.

As to definitiveness:

3 hours of motor at half hull speed is a fact, and as a fact that is not enough to provide a normal and necessary safety factor for any but the most short sighted fair weather sailor.

Battery driven, regenerative charged, solar charged and wind charged pure electric systems are not technically feasible or economically prudent for long range cruising as done by the majority of real people out there. Sure it's been done, by daredevil technology demostrators off on their newest publicity seeking adventures, not by your average Joe and Jane.

Sailnet is a great place to talk sailing and facts, perceptions and such are probably better at SA or latts and atts.
Not to prolong something that should have died posts ago, but a system that includes a genset makes much better range than 3 hours.

As others have pointed out, there are reputable yacht manufacturers who are using electric diesel systems. The Nordhavns (though not a sailboat) and Lagoons are just a few examples.

I read an article about the Nordhavn, but I can't recall if they are actually selling a system like that or not. I pay more attention to sailboats.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #113  
Old 05-01-2008
artbyjody's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bellingham, PNW
Posts: 3,146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 10
artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Engele - Do you actually own a sailboat?


I notice every chance you get you get post on something electric motor related. Personally, while CAM here accepted your explanation - I have not. You can call it childish as you did in the neg rep you gave me - but the fact is, some of us are quite attuned to blatant methods of drumming up business etc. Your initial posts, and honestly - all of you posts have been devoid of any real substantial info - yet you criticize every one blanketed as stating we have short narrow minded views.

If I was you and this Solidnav gent is more than your "had a beer friend" - it would be more worthwhile that maybe he GIVE YOU that freebie he so boldly stated he would give to someone on Sailnet (looking out for you) - but then again you probably need a sailboat to take advantage of that if you do not have one already. But at least then you could speak from experience either way. Or maybe you know better...

However, spoiled fish smells like spoiled fish and since post #1 - this whole thread reaks of "Any press is good press" promotion.
__________________
-- Jody

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.








Last edited by artbyjody; 05-01-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #114  
Old 05-01-2008
Sea Slacker
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,789
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
brak is on a distinguished road
I bet that solidnav and engele are the same person. He did play a good cop bad cop thing there. However writing style, as well as simultaneous and almost word-for-word admiration of Giu's boat (not that there is anything wrong with that), as well as simply many many years of experience with various web communication mediums, among other things make me believe they are the same person.

Not that it matters, really - just my personal opinion.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #115  
Old 05-01-2008
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,855
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 12
Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
simultaneous and almost word-for-word admiration of Giu's boat

The man/men have good taste..what can you do....

I don't blame them for liking "that" boat so much...heck...even I like it so much....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #116  
Old 05-01-2008
camaraderie's Avatar
moderate?
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: East Coast
Posts: 13,878
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 15
camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Jody...Brak...Pls. cut it out. Engele and solidnav are not the same person. I know exactly who they are and I accept the "good friends" explanation. They both have boats. Solid attacked me and I have handled that and he has not been back. In any event, he will pay a long term price for his temper as the internet does not "expire". Engele has attacked no one and is entitled to his opinion as is anyone here. (However wrong it may be!)
Kindly respond to the information in his posts or ignore him...but let's stop the challenges and suspicion OK?
__________________
No longer posting. Reach me by PM!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #117  
Old 05-01-2008
artbyjody's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bellingham, PNW
Posts: 3,146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 10
artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Jody...Brak...Pls. cut it out. Engele and solidnav are not the same person. I know exactly who they are and I accept the "good friends" explanation. They both have boats. Solid attacked me and I have handled that and he has not been back. In any event, he will pay a long term price for his temper as the internet does not "expire". Engele has attacked no one and is entitled to his opinion as is anyone here. (However wrong it may be!)
Kindly respond to the information in his posts or ignore him...but let's stop the challenges and suspicion OK?

I will stop posting them - but frankly he attacked me with his neg rep to me, and upon further introspection the obvious "any way to drum up press" routine - which frankly I , less the fact for reasons you stated - normally you or others would of ended this thread three posts before January.

But I'll just put the individual on ignore - I think I know how to do that...
__________________
-- Jody

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.







Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #118  
Old 05-01-2008
denby's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dead Sea, some times called Long Island Sound
Posts: 2,531
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 11
denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Anyone attacking our moderators and Sailnet members, especially well established members is out in my book. We have a very good group of members hear with a vast knowledge base and when they state facts I for one tend to listen to them. When Cam, Chuck, Sway and the likes question some one like
SolidNav and engele and get the answers we got, then I smell something fishy.





Quote:
Originally Posted by engele View Post
I take that personally. I have not attacked anyone. On top of that, I have attempted to give a perspective that I found lacking.

Sailnet doesn't seam to be a good forum for design discussion. Especially when it falls to this. Be civil. Don't attack me because I disagree with the moderator on whether something is useful.

Groupthink sucks.
I'm sorry but I fail to see where I said you attacked any one. When I said anyone in my first line I did not signal you out, it was used in general. And where I did use your name it was referring to the answers we where getting.

But if you did take it personally please accept my apology.
__________________
Dennis
O'Day 302

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
's signature.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #119  
Old 05-01-2008
Sea Slacker
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,789
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 8
brak is on a distinguished road
No problem I also know who they are now, and I take back my statement about them being the same person.

After a bit of research I finally found what this system is made of (and a bit more information about it). This was a useful exercise for me and I will keep the motor manufacturer in mind.

That said, I agree that this discussion had turned non-productive, my apologies for contributing to that. I'll go discuss marina blues now
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #120  
Old 05-01-2008
camaraderie's Avatar
moderate?
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: East Coast
Posts: 13,878
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 15
camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Thanks guys...Jody...I gave you some Luvvvvv...to make up for the pain!! Couldn't give Brak any...he's already my luhv bunny!
__________________
No longer posting. Reach me by PM!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for Feedback on Electric Propulsion donrr1 Gear & Maintenance 22 05-06-2008 01:00 PM
Electric propulsion scrumhalf Gear & Maintenance 3 05-01-2008 05:55 PM
Electric Motors and Sailing Vessels Mark Matthews Gear and Maintenance Articles 0 11-17-2002 07:00 PM
The Great Windlass Debate SailNet Seamanship Articles 0 11-30-2001 07:00 PM
The Great Windlass Debate SailNet Gear and Maintenance Articles 0 11-30-2001 07:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:53 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012