Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-29-2008
Quiet|Electric|Clean

SolidNav is an unknown quantity at this point
Smoke and Mirrors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Arch... what you are saying is TOTALLY impractical on a cruising sailboat. This is so ridiculous I can't even begin to refute it. Tell ya what...as soon as someone crosses the Atlantic or Pacific with their cruising electric motor sailboat and NO diesel...let me know. The FAQ's you reference are a complete joke and lack any substantive information. This is presently smoke and mirrors.
One, I am the President of SolidNav.com
Two, Sailnet has been, and will again, go out of business.
Three, I will not be advertising with them(abusive and ridiculous moderator on this forum proved that point well).

You are right in one aspect, we are not the alternative for you. As a matter of fact, we are not really an alternative for anyone with new 52' Tayana stinkpots that happen to have a sail.

If you are that dependent on an engine, quit lying and buy a trawler. Rename the site as "trawlernet" and we can move on honestly.

Your comment about traveling oceans with electric is ludicrous. My largest sales objective in the Uk is to convince them that they even require an engine (there are some true sailors there). Ask guys like Hal Roth and other actual sailors about motors and your answers will be very, very non-nondescript.

The truth is for you and your boy Barak, is that the knowledge base on electric boats is very vast. Your arm chair naval architecture runs into a common fallacy, it doesn't work. Every single mathematical equation and formula, for every boat and every owner cannot accurately describe the behavior of a boat moving through the water. I avoid using anything but actual test data that I have been involved with myself.

Before you amble off into illogical power boater rants. Please feel free to contact one of the hundreds of boat owners worldwide comfortably sailing in their electric yachts.

Under a different name and in a different circumstances, I have quietly seen the bullying attitude by those that think they own the ocean and the seas on sailnet's forums, this is my retort. We are not the first alternative just for guys that can afford new Beneteaus (or Tayana's), we are here to help everyone enjoy sailing.

Enjoy your fuel burning and wrench turning! The tide is changing with or without you. Look for us on store shelves around the nation.

Any sailor that would like to ask me any questions, about my product or any other electrical install that they are working on with any product, feel free to shoot me an email. I love to help.

Jason L. Russell
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Ahhh I just got me some pop-corn and now I wait the show to begin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidNav View Post
One, I am the President of SolidNav.com
Two, Sailnet has been, and will again, go out of business.
Three, I will not be advertising with them(abusive and ridiculous moderator on this forum proved that point well).

I agree they are ridiculous, specially the red neck from texas....the other one not so much....he's just ugly

You are right in one aspect, we are not the alternative for you. As a matter of fact, we are not really an alternative for anyone with new 52' Tayana stinkpots that happen to have a sail.

AHAHAHAHA that was funny...C'mon Cam he was funny...

If you are that dependent on an engine, quit lying and buy a trawler. Rename the site as "trawlernet" and we can move on honestly.

Ahahahahaha that was funny too....

Your comment about traveling oceans with electric is ludicrous. My largest sales objective in the Uk is to convince them that they even require an engine (there are some true sailors there). Ask guys like Hal Roth and other actual sailors about motors and your answers will be very, very non-nondescript.

I am from Europe...and so far only saw a Cat with the hybrid motor...we had to tow him back to port...but you are feisty

The truth is for you and your boy Barak, is that the knowledge base on electric boats is very vast. Your arm chair naval architecture runs into a common fallacy, it doesn't work. Every single mathematical equation and formula, for every boat and every owner cannot accurately describe the behavior of a boat moving through the water. I avoid using anything but actual test data that I have been involved with myself.

Who is the boy Barak??? Now I am confused...

Before you amble off into illogical power boater rants. Please feel free to contact one of the hundreds of boat owners worldwide comfortably sailing in their electric yachts.

OK...phone and email of each one of them...

Under a different name and in a different circumstances, I have quietly seen the bullying attitude by those that think they own the ocean and the seas on sailnet's forums, this is my retort. We are not the first alternative just for guys that can afford new Beneteaus (or Tayana's), we are here to help everyone enjoy sailing.

I have an aquarium...does that count???

Enjoy your fuel burning and wrench turning! The tide is changing with or without you. Look for us on store shelves around the nation.

I also like the Scorpions..the winds of change....the tides of change..never heard...but you're funny...
Any sailor that would like to ask me any questions, about my product or any other electrical install that they are working on with any product, feel free to shoot me an email. I love to help.

Jason L. Russell
Alex Da Gama de Cabral Magalhaes Colombo

Old 04-29-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidNav View Post

With that tirade, being CEO, President or whatever, and all - do you really think many of us would want to do business with someone that so belittles everyone with such a condescending tirade, especially after being here on another screen name. Obviously, you didn't read the rules here about joining. Secondly - a good business person as soon as this question from the OP would of come up, would have in due diligence, posted actual answers to questions posed. Instead, you opt to still not do it period and relent upon a discourse that frankly represents some of the worse behavior a customer would never hope to intertwine with.

You insult any-one on here - odds are that many more of us - such as myself, will easily skip by any product you may have much less now any actual valuable input that you could of presented.

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-29-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
With that tirade, being CEO, President or whatever, and all - do you really think many of us would want to do business with someone that so belittles everyone with such a condescending tirade, especially after being here on another screen name. Obviously, you didn't read the rules here about joining. Secondly - a good business person as soon as this question from the OP would of come up, would have in due diligence, posted actual answers to questions posed. Instead, you opt to still not do it period and relent upon a discourse that frankly represents some of the worse behavior a customer would never hope to intertwine with.

You insult any-one on here - odds are that many more of us - such as myself, will easily skip by any product you may have much less now any actual valuable input that you could of presented.
Leave him alone...he's funny and he is protecting his product....
Old 04-29-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Leave him alone...he's funny and he is protecting his product....

What product? Bite Me Gui, and stop letting that redneck stuff get to you

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 04-29-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
What product? Bite Me Gui,
IT'S GIU DAMN IT........................
Old 04-29-2008

engele is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow, I never really meant to start such a stupid flame war over this. For me the Technology already has been proven (as many have stated on this thread). I was hoping for more of an intelligent discussion, and really hoping for comments from those who had installed Asmo, Soloman, Solidnav, or other systems.

Solomon Technologies has been around for years, and their systems are factory installed in several boats (Lagoon catamarans for example). I have also previously heard good things about the Asmo systems.

More in line with my intentions would have been a discussion on things like:

What batteries are electric sailors using? Lithium Ion, Nimh, sodium, etc.

What is there "measured range" with the batteries they have and the system and boat they have?

What about the home built guys? which motor did you use, controller, etc. What problems did you have?

The fact that many systems are already (and have been for quite some time), being used and sold, lays to rest the argument that it cannot be done. On top of that, these motors are installed in a wide variety of boats, and that does include ocean capable cruisers.

This discussion is awfully reminiscent of discussions I have heard on catamarans and their cruise potential. For many years people said that catamarans were not safe for offshore sailing.

That is still often debated, but cats have done the loop. For me, the question isn't a question of fanaticism or blind idealism, but one of practicality.

I grew up with a small fishing boat that was powered by a trolling motor. it worked great. There is no reason the concept can't scale. On top of that, what is the longest amount of time that anyone on here has run their engine?

For me it is about seven hours, and only then it was because I needed to get across the bay and back to work the next day.

I can't see motoring for days on end. Maybe that is Naive, but I don't think so. I also have known sailors who had Atomic Four engines that only worked about a third of the time they went sailing.

Also whenever a sailor would be tying up at a dock, they would normally have shore power available (even outside the USA) and can use that to quickly charge batteries.

For those who say you can't cruise with an electric engine, I guess I disagree. On a passage where you stay on one tack for days on end, why can't you be taking on a trickle charge from solar, wind and regen?

A combination of power sources isn't a bad option. Also the weight of many gas engines offsets the weight of an electric.

Yes, you need a lot of batteries for a lot of range. So what? In any case the dialog here has gotten wayyyy too opinionated.

I should have known better than to post on something that I know is controversial. Sailing traditionalists are not early adopters of technology (not that that is always a bad idea).

I like the concept of electric drives, and judging from my own use, I would never have a problem with the technology as is. Also battery technology keeps getting better. Those factors combined mean that I will likely install one of the Solidnav systems.

These discussions are popping up everywhere on the web lately. I expected a more technical discourse on sailnet.

Oh well,

Cheers, and may you all calm down and not die of high blood pressure,

-EE
Old 04-29-2008

So..I have a question for Solidnav, not joking this time.

How much would the weight be, including batteries, motor etc, for a 12.500lb total weight 42 footer, so that the power output be equal to 40HP and installed with a saildrive?

Thanks
Old 04-29-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
SolidNav,
let me introduce you to a concept called 'customer service'.
If you sold a product that converted air to gold I would not do business with you or yours.
That is not in defence of 'my' moderators, that's because rather than state facts you choose personal attack making it obvious to me you have no facts.

How does someone become president of a company without first growing up and learning a little business acumen?
Old 04-29-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
If I were to venture a guess, I'd say that Jason is a President as well as the sole employee of this company. Sounds like his education is limited to high school (and he did not take physics). Also, while I am no visionary, I bet $100 this company will be out of business within a year.

And I certainly take offense to being called a "boy Barak".