Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-26-2008

LaBellaVita is on a distinguished road
Bottom Paint

Ok, I have a few questions. The guys in my club are giving me various answers. I need more input.
I am getting ready to fill my blisters with interlux water tight, then paint with interlux 2000. Some people are telling me to use ablative paint and others are telling me to use VC 17. I sail on the ohio river and I have two goals here. My first goal is to make my boat perform to it's best capabilities. If I decide to race it, (big "if" here...I currently crew on someone else's boat and I'm on the jib. I just started last year and I've improved greatly- not sure I'm ready to make a fool out of myself trying to captain in the races yet!) I would like to go as fast as I can. However, I also have to keep in mind the cost of maintaining the bottom each year, especially since I am putting so much into it at the very beginning.
I have people telling me if I use ablative I will only have to paint every other season. Then I have people telling me the same thing about VC 17. No one seems to agree.
If I am sailing in fresh water and I pull it every winter, how long should my paint hold up?
While I am on the subject, what is the best place (best price) to buy interlux products? My local store has the same price as West Marine. Is that the best deal I'm going to find? (keep in mind the cost of shipping...)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2008

lharmon is on a distinguished road
Hey LaBelle;

Sorry your boat has the pox. I do not think there are any right answers for "the ultimate" bottom paint. I use an albative - Pettit Hydrocoat. I repaint when the color underneath begins to show through. Some years I just touch-up and others I do a complete coat. My boat is in fresh water for 6 months. When hauled there is nothing on the hull except a little - very little fuzz right by the waterline. Hydrocoat can be smoothed for a slicker hull but early on you will gain more speed by focusing on trim, tatics and knowledge of the currents in the mighty Ohio.

Practical sailor has done a number of reviews of bottom paints. What people are using that works in your water is not a bad decision making tool. I usually check sailnet's store, shipstore.com, defender.com for my bottom paint. Even with the shipping I seem to save. West Marine when they have a sale is good too. I always mail order because it's a long way to a store from here.

Best of luck with your repairs.

LH