Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-19-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
I used to belong to the Small Boats forum on Yahoo, but was kicked out for having an opinion contrary to his self (Don Elliot runs the group with a tight fist). Ayway, he has a drawing of a DIY harness that is two ropes - one around the waist and oneover the shoulders like a long necklace. Both ropes have loops on both ends and all loops meet at the naval where they are clipped together then that clip is clipped with a quick release to a line on the boat. You would really need to know how to braid properly to make the loops, Knots could work but would be bulky with 4 loops.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
While water skiing this past June I slipped into my ski while sitting in on the gunnel..spun around and bailed off...The 1/2 hem of my nylon shorts hung up on the recessed cleat of my boat...so there I was face down in the water all 200 lbs of me and a ski and a wet vest...The shock load was only about 8" but three strong guys could not free it or finish ripping it without really putting a bind on my leg...it had to eventually be cut destroying my shorts...we wount talk about my pride...I still have a hint of whats left of the bruising to the inside of my thigh almost two months later..

Every once in a while I will jump out of one of my excavators with a cotton gloved hand getting hooked on the vandalism prevention package clips welded to the door frame...I look like and feel like a side of beef hanging in a locker..Hurts like heck and wrenches my whole body at arms length..

If I survived the forces necessary to break even the poorest made tether system out of 1" double/tube webbing I wont be in any shape to assist myself let alone any other and most likely will be dead.

I use to climb and teach climbing...Other then the actual harness we never bought any other gear we sewed all our own...including aid sturrips..The ebay one or home made ones will suit me and the ones I care for most in the world just fine.
Old 08-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Still-

With the forces distributed properly across a harness, rather than on a make shift restraint, like a 1/2" wide hem of your shorts or the cuff of a cotton glove, you would be surprised at how much force and how violent a fall you can survive, provided the anchor points hold you. Iíve been out rock climbing and fallen 20-30' only to be caught up by my harness and gotten out of it with little more that some sore muscles and some bruising where the harness was.

Most harnesses will spread the force out over a fairly large area of your body. Be aware that some harness/PFD combinations are not meant for all people to use. The ones commonly found at West Marine, like their 4000 series aren't for use by people shorter than 5' 8" or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
While water skiing this past June I slipped into my ski while sitting in on the gunnel..spun around and bailed off...The 1/2 hem of my nylon shorts hung up on the recessed cleat of my boat...so there I was face down in the water all 200 lbs of me and a ski and a wet vest...The shock load was only about 8" but three strong guys could not free it or finish ripping it without really putting a bind on my leg...it had to eventually be cut destroying my shorts...we wount talk about my pride...I still have a hint of whats left of the bruising to the inside of my thigh almost two months later..

Every once in a while I will jump out of one of my excavators with a cotton gloved hand getting hooked on the vandalism prevention package clips welded to the door frame...I look like and feel like a side of beef hanging in a locker..Hurts like heck and wrenches my whole body at arms length..

If I survived the forces necessary to break even the poorest made tether system out of 1" double/tube webbing I wont be in any shape to assist myself let alone any other and most likely will be dead.

I use to climb and teach climbing...Other then the actual harness we never bought any other gear we sewed all our own...including aid sturrips..The ebay one or home made ones will suit me and the ones I care for most in the world just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-19-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Still-

With the forces distributed properly across a harness, rather than on a make shift restraint, like a 1/2" wide hem of your shorts or the cuff of a cotton glove, you would be surprised at how much force and how violent a fall you can survive, provided the anchor points hold you. Iíve been out rock climbing and fallen 20-30' only to be caught up by my harness and gotten out of it with little more that some sore muscles and some bruising where the harness was.

Most harnesses will spread the force out over a fairly large area of your body. Be aware that some harness/PFD combinations are not meant for all people to use. The ones commonly found at West Marine, like their 4000 series aren't for use by people shorter than 5' 8" or so.

Point is is didnt break did it....