Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-30-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
I need help running halyards...

On the O'day 192 I just bought, the two halyards are run back to the winches on the cabintop, but they are run through stand up blocks, but when tight the blocks pull back and allow the halyards to rub on the cabintop, can I replace these with a cheek block? Without drilling new holes? There are 4 bolts for the stand-up block, and they were not well installed, both leak. Maybe I should plug them up? cheek blocks only use 2 bolts right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
something looks odd in that arrangment.

The halyards shoudn't be runing thru at angles thru stand up blocks, that will move when in tension.

You need a footblock there to redirect without play..the play caused by the movement down or sideways of the standup blocks change halyard tension that changes boat sailing qualities.

redirect the halyards thru non moving blocks, or a deck organizer.

If someone else here doesn't help you in an hour or so I will help you, busy now..OK?

Also a boat that small doesn't need the halyard to go to the which, maybe we can fix you a better system
Old 04-30-2008

I was wondering why it had winches too, but the former owner was old, maybe late 60's? Maybe he wasn't strong enough. If I could just get rid of them, that would be ok too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-30-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
OK..what you need is to repalce those there by 2 of these CLICK HERE

Then to hold the halyard, install one of these CLICK about 1 foot before the winch going thru this CLICK that fits in the cleat.

Then you're ok, the rubbing doesn't hurt because the halyard will not move...but if you want to get really pro..get a few of these and install underneath.

Last edited by Giulietta; 04-30-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-30-2008

Thanks a lot Alex, it looks like those footblocks might even fit in the diagonal existing holes where the current stand up blocks are, then I only have to epoxy two on each side. Should I just get rid of the other two blocks too? I appreciate it.

Old 04-30-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
I was wondering why it had winches too, but the former owner was old, maybe late 60's? Maybe he wasn't strong enough. If I could just get rid of them, that would be ok too.

Leave the winches...look at the above post.

If that is not what you wanted, tell me. Leave the winch...one day you need to hoist soemthing or a MOB and will appreciate the winch..
Old 04-30-2008

what other two blocks are you talking about??
Old 04-30-2008

The block between where the halyard rubs and the winch, the other side of the boat is identical

Old 04-30-2008

if you want remove the block and leave the base...maybe one day you will need the block...unlesss another halyard passes thru there...then do the same, so the boat looks equal
Old 04-30-2008

Ok, thanks.