Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-04-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
No S**t Sherlock
Duh.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Duh.
Thanks.

Well....Giu started it....I was just trying to be as AFOC as possible....

Giu Writes: "yep you're right...most don't..good point"

in response to tensioning a halyard....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by craigtoo; 05-04-2008 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old 05-04-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Oops, yes, my bad. Brain fart.

Vaya con Dios
Old 08-21-2008

MtWeather is on a distinguished road
I plan to install a deck organizer too, but not sure how it should be aligned relative to the winch (also replacing clam & regular cleats with rope cluthes...fewer holes and a lot easier to drop a sail in a hurry when single handing). Anyway, it would seem the deck organizer should be installed parallel to the stern rather than at any other angle to minimize the amt. of sheave(?) rolling surface in contact with the halyards and as far aft as possible without having the halyards interfere with anything else topside. I also plan to use two single rope clutches not a double (forward one for the jib, slightly rear one for the main) to avoid possible confusion....labels are fine but seem to wear off quickly). I did see that Lewmar recommends raising the winch enough to achieve a 5 or 10 degree angle on the halyard's entry (to avoid wraps) but in my case the winch is raised anyway by a teak fitting to compensate for the curve in the cabin top.
Old 08-21-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtWeather View Post
I plan to install a deck organizer too, but not sure how it should be aligned relative to the winch (also replacing clam & regular cleats with rope cluthes...fewer holes and a lot easier to drop a sail in a hurry when single handing). Anyway, it would seem the deck organizer should be installed parallel to the stern rather than at any other angle to minimize the amt. of sheave(?) rolling surface in contact with the halyards and as far aft as possible without having the halyards interfere with anything else topside.

????Huh??
Not following you.
Use the deck organizer to organize the lines the way you want.
Just keep the deflections to a minimum.

Quote:
I also plan to use two single rope clutches not a double (forward one for the jib, slightly rear one for the main) to avoid possible confusion....labels are fine but seem to wear off quickly).
You will get use to which line is which soon enough. Use a double clutch.

Quote:
I did see that Lewmar recommends raising the winch enough to achieve a 5 or 10 degree angle on the halyard's entry (to avoid wraps) but in my case the winch is raised anyway by a teak fitting to compensate for the curve in the cabin top.
That should be fine. If you get override you can fix it later easy enough.
Old 08-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The reason many deck organizers are set at an angle is so that the lines will run more closely together and lead more fairly into the line clutches. If you mount the deck organizer so that it is parallel to the transom, you'll have the lines about 1.5-2" apart, and if you look at most line clutches, that isn't a good match to how they're spaced.. Also, angling the deck organizers reduces the amount of deck that is covered with lines, since the lines are closer together...reducing the tripping/footing hazard a bit.

I don't see how you can say that setting the deck organizer parallel to the stern changes the contact area... since that is really dependent on the change in angle the line makes when passing through the deck organizer, and any change, given the line clutches and mast being in the same position, is going to be minute—since regardless of the angle the deck organizer is at, the line still has to make a change of about the same amount—assuming the deck organizer is in roughly the same place on the deck.

Using two single line clutches, versus a double line clutch is probably a bad idea as well. IMHO, the double line clutches will be stronger, since they're supported better against all loads. The single line clutch has only two fasteners in line with each other and if you accidentally step on it... you might apply a load in a direction that it can't resist as well as a double line clutch would, since it has four fasteners in a rectangular setup that resists loads in the two directions, rather than just one. Also, the two single line clutches will probably take up more deck space than the double line clutch would...

BTW, having the deck organizers as far aft as possible is a probably a bad idea IMHO... The further aft your deck organizers are, the less likely that they'll lead fair to line clutches and winches, since the deck organizers will be that much closer to the line clutches, and the difference in spacing between the sheaves and the line clutches will be exaggerated by the short distance.

Quote:
I plan to install a deck organizer too, but not sure how it should be aligned relative to the winch (also replacing clam & regular cleats with rope cluthes...fewer holes and a lot easier to drop a sail in a hurry when single handing). Anyway, it would seem the deck organizer should be installed parallel to the stern rather than at any other angle to minimize the amt. of sheave(?) rolling surface in contact with the halyards and as far aft as possible without having the halyards interfere with anything else topside. I also plan to use two single rope clutches not a double (forward one for the jib, slightly rear one for the main) to avoid possible confusion....labels are fine but seem to wear off quickly). I did see that Lewmar recommends raising the winch enough to achieve a 5 or 10 degree angle on the halyard's entry (to avoid wraps) but in my case the winch is raised anyway by a teak fitting to compensate for the curve in the cabin top.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-22-2008

MtWeather is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice. My "project boat" is a Hunter 25. The angle at which the deck organizer is installed relative to the clutches could indeed result in spacing between the lines that might be a problem I did not consider. My "geometry" knowledge is a little "old" but I recall something about "there's only 1 point at which a line is precisely tangent to a circle" (in this case only 1 point of least friction). Every other angle (of entry or exit from the sheave) induces friction of varying amounts. But, I did not consider spacing between the lines when aligning the organizer (and the clutches).

My only reason for using two clutches (other than the fact I have 2 new Spinlocks in storage) is I often have "help" on the boat so yelling pull the lever closest to you vs. "the one marked "main"" could be useful at times. I see a lot of people using labels but my experience has been when you really need them (or your glasses), the label is gone. But, equally important was the point(s) about strength using a double rather than 2 singles (and I can always save the Spinlocks for another project).

Thanks again. Now if I can just solve the problem(s) of replacing 2 Lewmar #7s with 2 Lewmar #16st(s), I could almost be back sailing once I finish all the non-skid.
Old 08-23-2008

jnanjorl is on a distinguished road
hello charles, just a bit of extra for you to consider is the additional possible loading of the deck due to the downhaul on the lines if you use blocks attached to the deck instead of a plate under the mast. happen to come across it in my attempt to plan the same lines leading aft....jeff