Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-01-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Navtec Turnbuckles

Given that we have one shroud with a few broken strands (it's a back lower shroud, so not particularly critical), and assuming all the standing rigging (save one stay the PO said he replaced) are original equipment on our 32-year-old boat, we decided this season to start replacing it. For reasons of time and money (had a lot of unavoidable expenses the last few months): That isn't going to happen this spring. Part of the reason, well... most of the reason, is it turns out our turnbuckles are of a manufacture "usually found on higher-end yachts" (in the words of our sales guy and club mate): Navtec. I believe they are these: Navtec C500 Turnbuckle. They have to be special ordered and the turnbuckle for our smallest wires (7/32) are $95/ea. + shipping.

(Sorry, but I can't get the Sailnet's posting software to render that URL properly. If you want to get there, you may have to go to www.navtec.net, select "RIGGING," choose category "Turnbuckles for wire," then select part "C500 Turnbuckle.")

Having seen the thread, several months back, where somebody here had had a turnbuckle on his freshly-re-rigged boat fail (forestay, IIRC, resulting in quite an "adventure"), I'm not inclined to cheap-out on these parts. I figure if these were good enough for Abracadabra's designers, they're good enough for me. But I'm wondering if: 1. Is $95/ea. too much to pay for them and, if so, 2. Is it reasonable to buy them myself, and give 'em to somebody else to put them on wires?

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 05-01-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2008
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
I have similar rigging on my '84 P303, also original to the boat, and am in the process of repalcing all the standing rigging this year. My issue with the Navtec turnbuckles is not so much price, but that there was a corrosion problem with the threaded rod. This problem apparently resulted in a recall several years ago, but which is no longer being honored by the company. In addition, it is my understanding that the rods are supposed to be replaced every few years, at a current cost of around $50 each. The threaded rods on my boat were never replaced. The threads are very corroded and one of the lower shroud turnbuckle rods is bent. As a result of this experience, I've decided to replace all the Navtec with regular turnbuckles, probably from CS Johnson or Hayn. For what it is worth, I'm having the upper fittings swaged and will use Hi-Mod for the lowers.
Old 05-01-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Navtec C500 turnbuckles are better suited for paperweights than standing rigging. (hope I don't get sued)
I can't for the life of me figure out why they were even developed in the first place. They are very susceptible to corrosion and cracking and are much more expensive than an open-body bronze turnbuckle.
Do yourself a favor, if you have a chance, get rid of them.
Old 05-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Do yourself a favor, if you have a chance, get rid of them.
Ok. Tho mine have survived in good order for 32 years. (And the PO was a racer that really pushed the envelope.) With what would you recommend I replace them?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 05-01-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Many companies make a bronze open-body turnbuckle. I have mostly sold Alexander-Roberts but any of them are better than the navtec.
I don't know where your boat has been for the last 32 years but here in Florida there is no way they would last that long. Maybe the Great Lakes. And again, I don't think there is any problem with the navtec's strength, it's the corrosion thats the problem.
Old 05-01-2008

Yeah, she's been on the Great Lakes her entire life.

Ok, now accepting nominations for new turnbuckles for our boat . I like the Navtec C500 design. Anybody else make one designed like that?

Jim
Old 05-01-2008

No, there are no other turnbuckles made like the Navtec C500.
Thank goodness!