SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Main VHF Preference?

6K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  SEMIJim 
#1 ·
Our VHF is old (steam powered) and seems to receive but not send. So it's time for a new one.

What VHF make and model do y'all use? Suggestions? Features to look out for?

I'm not sure how useful the DSC thing is. They all seem to have it for distress but I understand you can "call" a boat and I've seen some that have a keypad. Anybody use this?

How about the RAM mic function? It seems like a good idea to have the main unit mounted below and a second mic in the cockpit. I've also seen a few with built in haler and fog signals. I've used this before on someone else's boat and it was slick.

Another function I've seen that looks interesting is that some of them allow a GPS to be connected to it so that it will display GPS data on the same screen, thus reducing "dashboard clutter".

Any and all suggestions welcome.

MedSailor

#4 ·
I have a standard horizon handheld and am happy with it. They omitted a place for a lanyard which is my only complaint. It is well built and the battery goes the distance. It's been submerged and still works great. I would think you'd be happy with Std. Horizon.

DSC is nice because, if connected to a GPS, it will transmit your GPS position along with your communication so that rescuers will know your location. Supposedly these DSC communications are monitored by commercial vessels as well as the USCG. You can read more about it here:

Digital Selective Calling Radios - Nautical Know How

Most units now have DSC (even on the low end) so it's not a tough decision :) That unit you linked to looks pretty nice. Not sure I helped, but I tried!

#5 ·
VHF Features

Hello,

I bought this VHF last year:

Welcome to StandardHorizon.com

I selected it because it has:

25W power (all fixed units have this)
weather bands (just about all fixed units have this)
DSC (again, all fixed units have this)
GPS Repeating - speed, course, lat / long, etc. are displayed on the screen. With the main unit mounted below, it works like a repeater.
Second Station (RAM Mount) so I can use the radio from the helm.
Price - I paid about $150 for the radio and another $100 for the ram mount.

I used the radio a little last year and it worked fine. I like the second station a lot.

Barry

#6 ·
Ditto what Barry said on good features. We installed a uniden um525bk as our main unit at the marina here with all the same features BUT instead of a RAM mike, it provides for up to 4 wireless mics which eliminates wiring in the cockpit and allows transmission AND reception anywhere on the boat. It lets us roam the docks and still have full 25 watt transmission power which allows us to reach boats that portables won't. The unit also has a 35 watt hailer with pre-programmed fog signals which is useful if you are sailing in the northwest I would think!

#7 ·
Ditto what Barry said on good features. We installed a uniden um525bk as our main unit at the marina here with all the same features BUT instead of a RAM mike, it provides for up to 4 wireless mics which eliminates wiring in the cockpit and allows transmission AND reception anywhere on the boat.
I will second cam on that one. This is the same VHF I installed and now I have a remote unit in the cockpit without any wiring (except power wires for the charger base, I prefer to keep the remote charging in the cockpit, since even on the full charge it only lasts me about 5-6 hours instead of a full day). Plus I carry a handheld as a backup.

#8 ·
I vote for ICOM

I'm a certifiable Icom bigot. My permanent mount VHF is a 402 with remote mic. The remote mic is worth its weight in gold. I can actually hear the radio without leaving the cockpit.

I've also got an Icom handheld.

These radios don't give a lick of trouble, unlike the Panasonic they replaced.

#9 ·
I have an ICOM M-45 fixed unit under 10 years old that is good, reliable and compact. I'm not going to replace it until we go international and I want those frequencies.

I do, however, have two Standard Horizon handhelds, a large but very nice 260S submersible model, and the newer, tiny, multi-band 471SX, which I find is the one I like to carry on deck. It's simply not as clear or as powerful, seemingly, as the older model, but it's a great deal more versatile.

I like Standard Horizon products. I even have one of their wind instruments.

#11 ·
Couple of things...

"radios that transmit best" -- I'd ignore that "survey". Icoms are ubiquitous, but Standard Horizon's, Quest, and others transmit just as well. Technically, all VHF units on pleasure boats are limited to 25 watts VHF/FM emission. If the deviation is set correctly, and given identical antenna systems, they will all transmit very, very well.

They also hear pretty well, too. It's not hard to build a good receiver these days.

So what's the difference between radios? There are several to look for. One, of course, is the features: DSC (full Class D with two receivers, or intermittent), remote cockpit mic option, hailer, fog horn, etc.

Most new VHF radios include many of these features, but not all.

Another thing to look for is size (of knobs, readout, etc.). And -- very important -- audio quality. Many VHFs have small speakers with limited ability to operate well in noisy environments without a separate (remote) speaker attached.

Which to choose? Just about any will do well. The Icom 504 and 506 are very popular. After comparing a few, and installing a few for clients, I chose a Standard Horizon Quantum model a couple of years ago because it had the features I wanted and had a better audio output than the comparable Icom model. It was also available at a terrific price online at West Marine...about $100 less than the store price. I also installed the remote RAM mic in the cockpit, where it has been absolutely terrific. Wouldn't be without it, now, even though I have several handhelds and other VHF radios aboard.

Bill
WA6CCA
S/V Born Free

#12 ·
One additional note for MedSailor...

You said your old VHF will receive but "not send".

It may or may not be the radio at fault. IMO, more likely it's the antenna system, including the coax and/or connectors to the antenna.

At a minimum, you'll want to check these carefully. Much better, plan on replacing the coax and maybe the antenna itself. You'll be glad you did.

Use RG-8X coax or the heavier RG-213, depending on the size of your boat and the length of run. Other more exotic (and expensive) coax will have slightly less loss at VHF frequencies, but not enough difference to justify the cost on most boats under about 50'.

Bill

#19 ·
One additional note for MedSailor...

You said your old VHF will receive but "not send".

It may or may not be the radio at fault. IMO, more likely it's the antenna system, including the coax and/or connectors to the antenna.

At a minimum, you'll want to check these carefully. Much better, plan on replacing the coax and maybe the antenna itself. You'll be glad you did.

Use RG-8X coax or the heavier RG-213, depending on the size of your boat and the length of run. Other more exotic (and expensive) coax will have slightly less loss at VHF frequencies, but not enough difference to justify the cost on most boats under about 50'.

Bill
I'm afraid of that... in fact I believe it to be the likely cause. I still want a new radio because the old one isn't shiny. Normally that's the LAST reason I replace something but in this case the old radio would double as a stern anchor....

Having said that I need to go up the mast and see what's going on up there. There is something weird currently with the VHF setup, if for no other reason than my boat came with a shakespere whip antenna on the mizzen head, one on the mast head, and a fiberglass (VHF?) antenna 1/2 way up the mizzen. Gotta sort all that out. Currently the non-working radio is connected to about 100' of cable (51' mast) and goes up the main mast. Big PITA and I assume $$$ to change that out...

I figured that since I want a new radio, it makes sense to buy it first, plug it in and if it doesn't work, then it's the antenna for sure. Is there any other way I should be testing my antennas?

As for features and such, I've never used the direct DSC calling features. I assume that's what is mentioned here:
"DSC (full Class D with two receivers, or intermittent),"

Does anybody use this feature? I'm not planning on getting the radio with the full keypad at this point. Am I going to wish I could play too if I don't get this feature?

MedSailor

#13 ·
A few comments. Disclaimer: I know nothing specific about the various brands of marine radios and have yet to research this, myself.

As to ebs001's comment about "which transmitted best": I suppose that's more important than receiving (much less bells & whistles) for distress calls, but just about any decent radio can transmit reliably. The real difference between radios is their ability to receive. (I assume my experience in CB, military, Amateur and commercial radio is applicable to marine radio.)

No offense to cam or brak, and perhaps this doesn't apply to Uniden's marine radios, or, for that matter, any of their products, anymore, but I've never been impressed with Uniden product. Always struck me as mediocre- to high-end (maybe) consumer-grade stuff. I tend to prefer commercial/professional grade equipment.

I note those wireless Uniden remotes operate in the 2.4GHz spectrum. I wonder what happens in the vicinity of a marina well-covered by 802.11b/g/n (especially n) WLANs.

Barry, BeneteauMark,

Are those SH and ICOM remotes water-proof? Or at least highly water resistant?

Jim

#16 ·
I note those wireless Uniden remotes operate in the 2.4GHz spectrum. I wonder what happens in the vicinity of a marina well-covered by 802.11b/g/n (especially n) WLANs.
It works just fine, as verified multiple times in marinas very well covered by wi-fi including my current one. I suppose being in a vicinity of cordless phone may be an issue (fortunately, those aren't too common around the dock), but wifi - hardly.

BTW, the remote is waterproof (as was tested quite a few times by accidental immersion in rainwater) though speaker sounds really tinny and quieter while wet.

I bought the Uniden because they were the only ones with remote mike like that. The range of my radio so far seems to be very good though not "scientifically" tested (I am planning on that though).

#14 ·
Btw: I'd like to get us a new radio, too. The one currently on the boat works well enough (it's actually relatively new, from the looks of it), but it has no DSC capability and we cannot hear it in the cockpit, so something that'd take a remote would be nice. But this is a highly price-sensitive thing. $400-$500, plus the cost of a remote, isn't going to fly.

Jim

#15 ·
Jim,

There are few bargains left in the marine world today. But, I gotta say, VHF radios are one of them.

If price is an overriding consideration, you can buy a brand new DSC radio for under $100. Consider this Standard Horizon for $88.99 new in the box: Plaid Enterprises

RE: a VHF in the cockpit, sometimes a good strategy is to forget about a remote mic and, instead, mount a completely independent VHF in the cockpit, attached to its own dedicated vhf antenna on the pushpit. This gives you great redundancy, plenty of distance for cockpit-type communications, and great backup in case of a dismasting. The aforementioned Standard Horizon model even comes with a 3-year waterproof guarantee!

There are other bargains out there, too. This is just one example.

Bill

#17 · (Edited)
Jim,

There are few bargains left in the marine world today. But, I gotta say, VHF radios are one of them.
I've noticed that. (Don't want to say it too loudly, tho ;).)

If price is an overriding consideration, ...
Price is almost never an "overriding" consideration with me. But it does tend to be a consideration--especially lately.

RE: a VHF in the cockpit, sometimes a good strategy is to forget about a remote mic and, instead, mount a completely independent VHF in the cockpit,
I really have no good place to do that (tiller steering). A remote mic on a shared radio would be much more practical for us, IMO.

FWIW: The lowest-cost radio + remote mic out there currently would appear to be the ICOM M402 + HM-217, for as low as about $300 for the pair, on-line.

Jim

#18 ·
I have the Icom M504 and it is an excellent unit, especially if you need fog signals and a remote mic setup. However, Uniden, Standard Horizon, Raymarine and Icom all make very good units...that are comparable in features.

#20 ·
MedSailor-

What you really need is a SWR meter. They're not all that expensive, and well worth owning.

#23 ·
Basically it can tell you if what power level your radio is transmitting at, and how much signal loss your antenna and cable are giving you. About $75-125 depending on where you buy it... :)

#25 ·
Sorry Craigtoo...doesn't make any noises. :)

#26 ·
I don't have a remote mic because frankly that would require about 11 feet of coil. I have a base unit that I monitor while motoring in the pilothouse (but rarely use to transmit), and a handheld I monitor while sailing and use to contact dock guys, sometimes the CG if I find picnic tables floating in the water, and other boats with whom I'm trying to rendezvous.

But mostly I just listen to other people or to the Wx. You can a great deal about human behaviour monitoring Ch. 16, I find.

#27 ·
I want the remote more for the ability to be able to clearly hear the radio from the cockpit than anything else. I considered a hand-held, but that doesn't give you the range of the fixed radio, with its antenna advantage; you have to deal with re-charging, and there's always the distinct possibility of the radio going ker-plunk. Yeah, I know: They allegedly float. Fat lot of good that'll do you in heavy air and seas. Hell, just retrieving a cap or a PFD is tricky enough, but a small, hand-held radio? No thanks.

Jim

#28 ·
And most don't float. :)

#32 ·
Amaaaazing to me, what people don't read...or digest.

In an early post on this thread, I said, inter alia....
Another thing to look for is size (of knobs, readout, etc.). And -- very important -- audio quality. Many VHFs have small speakers with limited ability to operate well in noisy environments without a separate (remote) speaker attached.

Which to choose? Just about any will do well. The Icom 504 and 506 are very popular. After comparing a few, and installing a few for clients, I chose a Standard Horizon Quantum model a couple of years ago because it had the features I wanted and had a better audio output than the comparable Icom model. Unquote

Audio quality is VERY, VERY important.

Can't say it any clearer.

Bill

#33 ·
IPX7 or JIS-7 basically require 1 meter submersion for 30 minutes and still have the gear work. :) They're slightly different standards, but equivalent for all intents and purposes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.