Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-05-2008

julied is on a distinguished road
Need water heater education please

I'm having trouble with heating my domestic water off the engine. It used to heat up the water after about 45 minutes of running the engine at idle. Today it took 3 hours while underway. I only have a basic understanding of how the system works and am hoping that somebody way more mechanical than I can enlighten me!

Here is what I have:
Westerbeke 70 engine with a Flowcontroller mounted on the end of two pass exhaust manifold (text taken from Westerbeke 70 owners manual). I have a water tank that appears to hold about 25 gallons of water. There is a pressurized remote expansion tank located above the water tank (both the water tank and expansion tank are mounted higher than the engine).

What should I check for for possible problems causing such slow water heating?

ANY information on how these systems work would help lead me an answer. (And a hot shower!!)

~Julie
Kia Ora in Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
It could be the heat exchanger is clogged with calcium or other deposits. That would be where I would start - with flushing the system. In Seattle as well so you can PM me if you need a hand doing so...Go to the song chain and put up four more posts..

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-05-2008

julied is on a distinguished road
Thanks! I talked with a friend who was a mechanic earlier in life and he had the same suggestion. I'm going to get down to the marina this week and disconnect the hoses, start the engine and see if I'm getting any water through. I'm also going to see if I can blow through the exchanger.

Luckily I've got easy access!!

I've never had a problem with a water heater before so I didn't know where to start checking for possible problems.

Wish me luck!
Old 05-05-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Julie,
Ditto what Art says and good luck.
Old 05-05-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
Most common water heater arrangement is that engine cooling water/antifreeze mixture goes from the engine to a coil in the water heater, then to the heat exchanger, then the pump, then back to the engine. Salt water (or lake water) comes in the thru hull, to a screen filter, to the other pump, then to the heat exchanger, then the waterlift muffler, then out. Theory is that the water/antifreeze mixture heats as it the engine is cooled, the heat then goes to the water heater where some of the heat is lost for benefit of your shower, then in the heat exchanger the rest of the heat goes away so the antifreeze can cool the engine again. If your heat exchanger is plugged up, your engine will overheat. But if your thermostat is defective, your engine will take a long time to come up to operating temperature, thus your water heater will not have a hot engine to heat up your shower! Therefore, before you spend a lot of time and effort cleaning the heat exchanger, take a peek at the engine temp gauge - it may be that a new thermostat or radiator cap is the first order of business! By the way, regarding plugged heat exchangers - a wise sailor once told me that once a year you should look at the rubber impeller in your salt water pump. If it looks perfect, throw it away and put in a new one! What he meant is, replace it before it fails, so you don't have to take the pieces of a disintgrated impeller out of your heat exchanger. On my boat that is especially good advice, since my heat exchanger is nearly impossible to reach. First time I cleaned it, it took 4 hours!

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
Old 05-06-2008

MIKEMCKEE will become famous soon enough
When you open up your heat exchanger, run some shiskbob sticks through the tubes, this might clear out the junk that gets in there, also make sure your zink on the exchange is good.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.