Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-05-2008

torrential is on a distinguished road
feedback on the tacktick t101 wind system

I am considering this wireless wind system on my sabre 28. Has anyone installed one and if so are you happy with the system or would you go with the raymarine wind system?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Im interested also...seems pretty pricey though..
Old 05-05-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I have the TackTick instruments on my boat, which I installed to replace the Raymarine ST60 instrument set (tridata and wind). The T104 setup comes with the Tridata and the Wind instruments as well as an NMEA 0183 interface. I am very happy with them... it was very worthwhile as upgrades go. The problem I was having with the ST60 instruments was repeated problems with the wind instrument failing to operate properly.

BTW, the TackTick wind instruments have a nice feature, since the display can be used for both normal wind instrument use as well as used as a close-hauled wind instrument. The normal use gives you 360˚ of wind angle, the close hauled mode only reports ±60˚ off the wind.

I finished a new mount for them earlier this week, where the instrument display heads are actually mounted to the port of a Beckson 5" x 12" port, to give the cabin additional ventilation, while allowing the instruments to be in a highly visible location. I'll post a photo of the installation later this week.

BTW, if you're feeling a bit lazy, the ST60 Raymarine tridata transducers actually work with the TackTick hull transmitter, since Airmar makes the transducers for both Raymarine and TackTick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-05-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Thanks SD...one concern I had about them was the wireless reliability...At the same tome thats what attracting me to them...no more cable runs...how would that work using the old transducer though?
Old 05-05-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The instrument displays and the wind transducer are wireless. The hull transmitter and the NMEA 0183 interface are wired. The hull transmitter is wired to the two transducers (depth/temp and knotmeter) as well as power. The NMEA interface is wired to NMEA and power. Works with the existing Raymarine transducers just fine, though I'm swapping in the TackTick one—mainly because it has a flap to slow down the water flow into the boat when swapping out the transducer for the plug.

BTW, the displays and the wind transducer will operate about 300 hours after being fully charged without any additional sunlight charging them...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-24-2009

rjdesborough is on a distinguished road
Tacktick wind instrument experience

We installed a full Tacktick system in 2006 and had good service but in July 2009 the wind transmitter stopped sending a signal/data. The Tacktick feedback was that a life span of 3-5 years is typical which was a little disappointing. Do others have similar experience re the mast head transmitter need:mading replacement within a 3-5 year period?
Old 08-10-2009
overdue at Sans Souci

Diva27 is on a distinguished road
tactick system

I installed the entry-level tactick wireless wind system for cruisers (T033) this season. it has been a great asset, with one peculiar weakness. Twice, when sailing in the lee of Beausoleil Island at Georgian Bay Islands National Park on southern Georgian Bay near my home port of Midland, I've lost the wireless signal. Nothing but waiting gets it back.I've never lost the signal at any other time or place. I have no idea what signal interference might be causing this. It could be land-based, or it could be something on a large motor yacht anchored at the park, for all i know. I wonder if anyone else has had location-specific problems with signal loss.

It is better to be vaguely correct than specifically wrong.

Last edited by Diva27; 08-10-2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: add product ID
Old 08-10-2009

So far the response from Tacktick has been quite positive although there is a cost to obtain a "reconditioned transmitter" which has been upgraded with all the latest improvements. I have shipped the defective transmitter to Tacktick and will need to wait and see what the final cost and delivery time will be for the replacement unit.
RD
Old 08-10-2009
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
I had to replace the wind instrument at the second year. They must not have had the experience they have now - they asked me to send back both the transducer and the display so they could debug the problem. They determined I needed a new transducer, which they sent (well, actually it appeared to be reconditioned). But they claimed I never sent the display. It took the entire season to get a display sent back. I still lose signal occasionally (as in every time I sail), but only for a few moments before it comes back. It also freezes infrequently, which requires me to restart the display to get it working again.

Not recommended.
Old 08-10-2009

It looks like Tacktick have a new support company based in Guilford , CT.
I have had similar loss of signal and on occasion "re booted" to restore/stabilize. The rest of the system has worked well so I'm hopeful the reconditioned unit will provide improved service for wind info.
RD