Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-06-2008

Eihli is on a distinguished road
Spread repair while boat is in water.

I just got a 26' S2 and one of the things that needs work is the spreaders. It looks like there are some little bulbs at the ends of the spreaders that guide the shroud around the spreader. The shroud isn't going through the eye of the bulb where it is suppose to, it looks like the shroud slipped between the 2 sides of the bulb because of the tension, and it looks like the bulb is pinching the wire. I'm afraid this is going to make it weak.

I'm going to take the boat out of the water soon to do a bottom job, and I need to know if I'm going to have to fix the problems on the spreaders while the boat is out of the water, or if I can just fix it at a later date while it is in the water. I don't want to have to pay to take it out of the water twice but if I'm going to have to, then I'll get the parts to fix the spreaders now rather than later.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eihli View Post
I just got a 26' S2 and one of the things that needs work is the spreaders. It looks like there are some little bulbs at the ends of the spreaders that guide the shroud around the spreader. The shroud isn't going through the eye of the bulb where it is suppose to, it looks like the shroud slipped between the 2 sides of the bulb because of the tension, and it looks like the bulb is pinching the wire. I'm afraid this is going to make it weak.

I'm going to take the boat out of the water soon to do a bottom job, and I need to know if I'm going to have to fix the problems on the spreaders while the boat is out of the water, or if I can just fix it at a later date while it is in the water. I don't want to have to pay to take it out of the water twice but if I'm going to have to, then I'll get the parts to fix the spreaders now rather than later.

Could you be referring to the spreader boots? What color are these bulbs?

Last edited by knothead; 05-06-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-06-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Could you be referring to the spreader boots? What color are these bulbs?
It looks like they are metal, I've seen the plastic spreader boots in the West Marine catalog and I don't think that's what these are.
Old 05-06-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eihli View Post
It looks like they are metal, I've seen the plastic spreader boots in the West Marine catalog and I don't think that's what these are.

I can't recall ever encountering metal bulbs at the ends of the spreaders. But I learn new things everyday.
Usually, the shroud is restrained in some manner at the spreader tip. Seizing wire or a special tip that is made for holding the wire captive. Then a boot is often placed over that to keep chafe from occurring when the sail lays against or drags over it.

Can you post a photo?
Old 05-06-2008

beej67 is on a distinguished road
You aught to be able to do any spreader work while the boats in the water, if that's your preference. When you do, make sure the spreader is angled properly.

Old 05-06-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Is it just the covers that are not in place, or has the shroud slipped out of the spreader?
If the upper shroud is not propperly attached to the spreader, you have some problems that need addressing in a rather urgent manner. I would not recommend SAILING until you figure this out. If its just the cover, no big deal. If its the shroud, that is another story all together.
If it is the shrould, than the upper half of your mast is not supported on the one side.
If you are hauling the boat, than why wouldn't you look at it than?
You could probably drop the stick at the same time and do a very thorough examination of all the standing rigging.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 05-06-2008

That's what it looks like on my boat.
Old 05-06-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I looks like you may have a problem with that spreader. If it fails while sailing in strong winds, the mast could come down. I would definitely check this out during the haulout.
Old 05-06-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
There's no reason you can't work on the rigging with the mast up, its just not too convenient and you need to be careful when putting someone up in the air. With any common sense your mast won't fall down...don't release the uppers and lowers on the same side at the same time..either set will hold the mast in place just don't go sailing...

PS - I've never seen an adjustable spreader...
Old 05-06-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
There's no reason you can't work on the rigging with the mast up, its just not too convenient and you need to be careful when putting someone up in the air. With any common sense your mast won't fall down...don't release the uppers and lowers on the same side at the same time..either set will hold the mast in place just don't go sailing...

PS - I've never seen an adjustable spreader...
I've only seen adjustable spreaders on very small rigging. I think some dingy sailors are able to adjust their spreaders fore and aft.

It sound like Eihli is describing spreader boots to me but I could be wrong. I would suggest that he speak to some knowledgeable people on the dock. There are always "experts" around.

Eihli, get lots of opinions from people around the marina and then, just like with the center-board, check it out for yourself.

It's really not much more difficult to climb to the first set of spreaders than it is to dive under your boat and feel around.

You need to investigate, learn about and come to be familiar and comfortable with most if not all of the systems on your boat.

In order to be a competent and confidence inspiring skipper who will have all those bikini clad admirers clamoring for the opportunity to sail with you,
you need to be a hands on - get your head into it kind of sailor.

We are glad you came here and are glad to help.