Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-09-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Job Security...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
It's my understanding that once you've wiped-out Awlgrip's thin surface shell, your only recourse is to either live with the dulled finish or re-paint. That's why I'd tend to go with Awlcraft 2000 or Imron, rather than Awlgrip. Btw: I have yet to meet a sailor to whom I related that who wasn't surprised to hear this.

That being said: The parts of our Alwgrip'd hull (we bought the boat that way) that aren't scuffed looked nearly as shiny, with no work whatsoever, as gelcoated hulls that had been freshly cleaned and waxed, this spring.

Still: I think I'd rather the little bit of additional labour and be able to buff-out abrasions.

What about Imron or Awlcraft 2000 vs. Awlgrip for touch-up (scratches, gouges, other damage): Which is easiest or works best?

Jim
Old 05-09-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Btw: I have yet to meet a sailor to whom I related that who wasn't surprised to hear this.
Me too!! That's why I posted this. Sure, Awlgrip will remain shiny for long periods, with very little maintenance, BUT, if you keep your boat at a dock fender chafe through is VERY common and the only alternative is to repaint the surface or at the least clear coat it with clear LPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
What about Imron or Awlcraft 2000 vs. Awlgrip for touch-up (scratches, gouges, other damage): Which is easiest or works best?

Jim
Imron and Awlcraft 2000 are very, very similar. They are both acrylic LPU's and as such the shine/pigment is the entire thickness of the finish and as such it can be buffed and repaired. They are slightly less durable but still very, very resilient compared to other paints..

This photos bellow are a 1989 fire engine red (most fade prone color) Imron finish that I re-conditioned last spring. I challenge anyone to show me an Awlgrip or other polyester LPU finish that still looks that good at 18 years old!!!

You can't do that with the polyester LPU's like Awlgrip, Sterling or AlexSeal. When polyester LPU's are done, they are done, and when acrylic LPU's (Imron/Awlcraft 2000) are looking bad they are not necessarily done and can usually be re-buffed an re-conditioned but you must know what you are doing!!

P.S. For my own boat I used Awlcraft 2000 but Imron is basically the basically the same stuff... I still prefer a gelcoat finish over paint though..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 05-09-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Not the red boat again... could you at least take some new photos of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-09-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
I know..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Not the red boat again... could you at least take some new photos of it.

I know, I know the red boat.. Unfortunately, I've only buffed a a hand full Imron boats but this is the only one I actually took pics of.

But to answer your question here is a new pic. This is in mid November of last season..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 05-09-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
If I ever paint my boat I've threatened the Admiral with bright Yellow hulls (twin banna's) with purple canvas, black non-skid. I'm wondering how long I'd want that to last
Old 05-09-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Thanks Halekai...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-09-2008

garymcg is on a distinguished road
Imron

Halekai

What products did you use on the red boat? My boat is painted with Imron, it's still pretty glossy but I want to buff it up before next weekend's launch. I picked up some Awlcare but would rather wax it if it's not going to cause any problems.

Thanks in advance.

Gary
Old 05-09-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Gary,

Go to this thread
Ryobi vs. Makita vs. Poliglow??

You will get more info than you know what to do about your hull!

There was one other thread, but it took some 8 pages of looking back to find this one. The other is probably 1-2 pages further back tat halekai started vs the above one started by another person.

marty
Old 05-09-2008

garymcg is on a distinguished road
I read that thread a while ago and have looked at the various projects on Halekai's website (nice job by the way, especially the through-hull instructions). The instructions in the thread are for fiberglass buffing, I was specifically wondering about getting some glossy Imron.

Thanks again.

Gary