LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 05-09-2008
Handsome devil

Job Security...
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 05-09-2008

It's my understanding that once you've wiped-out Awlgrip's thin surface shell, your only recourse is to either live with the dulled finish or re-paint. That's why I'd tend to go with Awlcraft 2000 or Imron, rather than Awlgrip. Btw: I have yet to meet a sailor to whom I related that who wasn't surprised to hear this.

That being said: The parts of our Alwgrip'd hull (we bought the boat that way) that aren't scuffed looked nearly as shiny, with no work whatsoever, as gelcoated hulls that had been freshly cleaned and waxed, this spring.

Still: I think I'd rather the little bit of additional labour and be able to buff-out abrasions.

What about Imron or Awlcraft 2000 vs. Awlgrip for touch-up (scratches, gouges, other damage): Which is easiest or works best?

Jim
post #13 of 24 Old 05-09-2008 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Btw: I have yet to meet a sailor to whom I related that who wasn't surprised to hear this.
Me too!! That's why I posted this. Sure, Awlgrip will remain shiny for long periods, with very little maintenance, BUT, if you keep your boat at a dock fender chafe through is VERY common and the only alternative is to repaint the surface or at the least clear coat it with clear LPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
What about Imron or Awlcraft 2000 vs. Awlgrip for touch-up (scratches, gouges, other damage): Which is easiest or works best?

Jim
Imron and Awlcraft 2000 are very, very similar. They are both acrylic LPU's and as such the shine/pigment is the entire thickness of the finish and as such it can be buffed and repaired. They are slightly less durable but still very, very resilient compared to other paints..

This photos bellow are a 1989 fire engine red (most fade prone color) Imron finish that I re-conditioned last spring. I challenge anyone to show me an Awlgrip or other polyester LPU finish that still looks that good at 18 years old!!!

You can't do that with the polyester LPU's like Awlgrip, Sterling or AlexSeal. When polyester LPU's are done, they are done, and when acrylic LPU's (Imron/Awlcraft 2000) are looking bad they are not necessarily done and can usually be re-buffed an re-conditioned but you must know what you are doing!!

P.S. For my own boat I used Awlcraft 2000 but Imron is basically the basically the same stuff... I still prefer a gelcoat finish over paint though..

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 05-09-2008 at 10:13 AM.
post #14 of 24 Old 05-09-2008
Telstar 28

Not the red boat again... could you at least take some new photos of it.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #15 of 24 Old 05-09-2008 Thread Starter

I know..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Not the red boat again... could you at least take some new photos of it.

I know, I know the red boat.. Unfortunately, I've only buffed a a hand full Imron boats but this is the only one I actually took pics of.

But to answer your question here is a new pic. This is in mid November of last season..

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #16 of 24 Old 05-09-2008

If I ever paint my boat I've threatened the Admiral with bright Yellow hulls (twin banna's) with purple canvas, black non-skid. I'm wondering how long I'd want that to last
post #17 of 24 Old 05-09-2008
Telstar 28

Thanks Halekai...

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #18 of 24 Old 05-09-2008

Imron

Halekai

What products did you use on the red boat? My boat is painted with Imron, it's still pretty glossy but I want to buff it up before next weekend's launch. I picked up some Awlcare but would rather wax it if it's not going to cause any problems.

Thanks in advance.

Gary
post #19 of 24 Old 05-09-2008

Gary,

Go to this thread
Ryobi vs. Makita vs. Poliglow??

You will get more info than you know what to do about your hull!

There was one other thread, but it took some 8 pages of looking back to find this one. The other is probably 1-2 pages further back tat halekai started vs the above one started by another person.

marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #20 of 24 Old 05-09-2008

I read that thread a while ago and have looked at the various projects on Halekai's website (nice job by the way, especially the through-hull instructions). The instructions in the thread are for fiberglass buffing, I was specifically wondering about getting some glossy Imron.

Thanks again.

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.