SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Is this the right inflatable dinghy? (new member) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/43024-right-inflatable-dinghy-new-member.html)

AventuraII 05-10-2008 07:27 AM

Is this the right inflatable dinghy? (new member)

Hey gang- new member here- very excited to be back in sailing. I bought an Islander 28 this week and it will be delivered next Tuesday. We're joining a local club and will have the boat on a mooring, so I have to have a dinghy.

I have first option on a Maxxon 9'9" inflatable, will take up to 15 hp engine. I had a Zodiac 8 or 9' years ago and really enjoyed it. I'm leaning towards the inflatable because it will hold 4 people (family size) and is less tipsy. I'm wanting my wife to have as much positive experience as possible as we get back into the sport. Climbing in and out of a tipsy dinghy wouldn't help at this point.

Is a 9'9" dinghy too large to pull behind my 28 foot boat? How about stowing it on deck if needed?

Has anyone heard about the Maxxon brand- good or bad?

sailingfool 05-10-2008 08:19 AM

Towing a dingy is insignificant to most any boat with an engine. There's little reason you would ever want to put it on the foredeck, unless you were heading to bermuda, in which case I would leave it home. Any dingy on the foredeck of 28' would mean you can't use the foredeck.

You may have this dingy hopefully for 10-20 years, don't go cheap, buy a good quality unit and you'll appreciate it every time you use it.

If you be leaving the inflatable in the water I'd strongly recommend paying the extra to get a RIB, you and the missus willl love it. Very stable and very durable

IMHO 9.9" is too short get an 11, you can then carry four adults in comfort and safety. Get a 6 HP outboard and you will be ready to rock and roll. I have had an AB 11 rib for about 10 years and it still puts a smile on my face ever time I get in it.

I am not familiar with Maxxon, I would not buy a price boat here. Look at Achilles or Zodiac and compare the quality to Maxxon. If you look carfelly I bet you will see the price difference. if you really want the Maxxon, see if you can find one that is 5-10 years old and see how it has held up. IMHO pay the difference and buy a quality boat, you will get it back in spades by how well the boat survives you hard use.

JimsCAL 05-10-2008 09:20 AM

I agree with most of what sailingfool said. I also have no experience with Maxxon inflatables. The main thing to look for is the material used. PVC boats are cheaper but have a shorter life. Hypalon is used in the better quality boats. I don't like leaving my outboard on the boat when towing, so I have a small 7'6" Achilles with a 2hp Yamaha that I can easily take on off. When at anchor summer before last in strong thunderstorm, I was glad I had taken my motor off when my dinghy flipped several times in the strong winds. With a larger boat and a larger engine, removing the motor is a major job.

captainrizzo 05-10-2008 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AventuraII (Post 312193)
...I'm wanting my wife to have as much positive experience as possible as we get back into the sport...

Congrats on the new purchase and welcome back to sailing! You are a wise man wanting your wife to enjoy this!

-Riz

max-on 05-10-2008 10:04 AM

We have am AB RIB 9 ft w/ a 6 hp outnoard, which weighs 55 lbs, and I think the boat is plenty for four people, mostly it is just the two of us, and I think the 8 ft would have done the job, although when we have four, the 9 ft is the right size. If you are going to have four people with a lot of gear and multiple coolers, etc., all the time, go with the 10-11 ft, if not ho smaller. How far is the boat from the dinghy dock? For just 2 the 9 ft is too big.

Another consideration is the size of the dinghy dock where you are, I am at an old-school marina, where inflatables are not that popular. The 9 ft AB is BIG at the dinghy dock, where space is limited, for that reason I wish we had the 8 ft. Although someone arrived last year with a 10-11 Walker Bay and that was even bigger. Point is, consider where you are going to store it.

If you need to move the boat or store it out of the water the 9 ft AB RIB 'light' weighs 105 lbs and we easily can move it ourselves in and out of the water; the non-light can weigh about 150-160 lbs depending on length.

On towing, I would not get an engine heavier than 55 lbs, unless you always tow the RIB with the engine on, which depending on the seastate may or may not be a good idea, at 55 lbs it is not that difficult to manage.

AventuraII 05-10-2008 10:19 AM

Thank you for your replies- the Maxxon is 90 lbs, has the high-pressure floor and a v keel. I looked it over very carefully and it seems to have the same quality material and build as our previous Zodiac. The weight of outboard suggestions are very helpful. We have racks and hand-trailers at the club for storing dinghys, so I think I'm okay there, it's the same size as my neighbors dinghy, and they're also members.

Very grateful for all the help. Really enjoying this forum already!

camaraderie 05-10-2008 01:10 PM

It's PVC...suggest getting Hypalon if you want long life. (Duratex is a fancy name for PVC impregnated fabric)

QUOTE from Mercury:

1100 DURATEX —- Inflatables constructed with 1100 Duratex fabric are durable, look great and are a perfect choice for casual, recreational use. We build these boats to endure hard use and back them with a five-year limited warranty on both the fabric and seams.

HYPALON —- Our boats are made with top-quality Hypalon neoprene-coated fabric are the choice for more demanding use. They are extremely durable and highly resistant to ultraviolet light, chemicals, gas, and oils. They’ll even remain flexible in extreme cold or hot temperatures. It is not uncommon for a properly maintained boat to last well beyond its warranty, which is why they have a premium warranty coverage of ten years on fabric and seams.

121Guy 05-10-2008 01:14 PM

Inflatable

Hi,

We have an 11.5 ft Saturn Boat from Boatstogo.com. No interest in company. It has done well in fresh water for four seasons but is made of heavy duty pvc (decitex). It is light and has an air floor. It holds six in a pinch. It is also very inexpensive to purchase. I think ours was around $900. They offer smaller models. We also have a 28 year old Achilles that still holds air. It is a testament to the other advice rightfully given here that hypalon is a much better material. For us, the weight was important.

good luck!

121 Guy

labatt 05-10-2008 05:52 PM

Definitely look at Hypalon if you'll be in a lot of sun, although PVC is a bit easier to repair. I would lean towards AB, Avon or Carib inflatables - they will last you a significant period of time and the companies will back them up. 9'9" should be more than plenty for 4 adults, along with a 6HP engine. Don't go for anything smaller. We have an inflatable floor on our Avon and it's great for storage. A bigger dinghy is heavier and will require a bigger (more expensive and HEAVIER) engine.