Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-11-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Sailaway's mention of a torch, and my "Oh duh!" recollection that I have a torch bottle to worry about as well, makes me wonder why no one sells a simple positive brass cap to screw onto the bottle as a security fitting?

Just a piece of (non-sparking!) bronze or brass rod, with the 1" female threads tapped into it, and a rubber sheet inside, so it could be screwed onto a gas bottle as a (reusable) "gas tight" cap. The same way that Schraeder valves use caps, and AC fill ports use caps, to make sure the valve isn't leaking.

Nice cottage industry for someone with a lathe...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, most propane devices can use butane and vice versa with little trouble. The main problem is if you have a CNG device, since CNG has very different characteristics from LPG, Propane or Butane. Be aware that LPG is often a mix of propane and butane.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-22-2008

Edo Kazumichi is on a distinguished road
Wow. I had no idea that little green bottles were such a popular topic. Many thanks to all of you. I've decided that they're more trouble then they are worth .

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
If you are an occasional sailor, Coleman disposable bottles provide 6-8 barby meals. Remember the word disposable! And keep 'em outside the boat, either stored in a proper vented propane locker or on the rail attached to the grill. If you live aboard or manage to spend a LOT of time on the boat, the short hose adapter TB showed above can be attached to a 5 or 10 pound refillable bottle, with a good shutoff valve, available in the gas grill section of your home center store (like Home Depot or Lowe's.) (I got mine from Bass Pro Shop) This smaller bottle can then be suspended from the rail in a canvas bag. Saves the need to run a gas line from a midship propane locker! One can also get an aluminum propane bottle, 5 lb capacity, from West Marine for only about 6 times what my painted steel 5 pounder cost! And since the propane refillers insist that the tank is only good for 10 years before inspection and re-certification, if the steel one lasts 3 years you're money ahead!

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis

Last edited by RAGTIMEDON; 05-22-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-22-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGTIMEDON View Post
If you live aboard or manage to spend a LOT of time on the boat, the short hose adapter TB showed above can be attached to a 5 or 10 pound refillable bottle,
Insignificant nit-pick point, but the 2 standard, refillable propane cylinder size options are, 10 lb & 20 lb, not 5 lb & 10 lb.
Old 05-22-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGTIMEDON View Post
If you are an occasional sailor, Coleman disposable bottles provide 6-8 barby meals. Remember the word disposable! And keep 'em outside the boat, either stored in a proper vented propane locker or on the rail attached to the grill. If you live aboard or manage to spend a LOT of time on the boat, the short hose adapter TB showed above can be attached to a 5 or 10 pound refillable bottle, with a good shutoff valve, available in the gas grill section of your home center store (like Home Depot or Lowe's.) (I got mine from Bass Pro Shop) This smaller bottle can then be suspended from the rail in a canvas bag. Saves the need to run a gas line from a midship propane locker! One can also get an aluminum propane bottle, 5 lb capacity, from West Marine for only about 6 times what my painted steel 5 pounder cost! And since the propane refillers insist that the tank is only good for 10 years before inspection and re-certification, if the steel one lasts 3 years you're money ahead!

DANG!!! I missed a great thread. Oh well. I knew I shouldn't have gone to the boat and should just stay on sailnet.

At any rate, the above advice is sound. If you grill al lot, those little green bottles get expensive. But I still keep some around because I can take one of my grills to shore for shoreside cookouts.

Cruising, etc... just go get the freaking hose from Homedepot or Lowes. Why would you want to haul around all those little green things? Can you imagine the Jamican's face when you take him a sack full of little green bottles and tell him you want them all refilled??? HEHE! Er hmm, it would go something like: "Eh, mon. You one cheap Bast***. I ain't refillin all them little jugs mon. You fly back to the states and go to Walmart. It be cheaper." HEHE!

You guys crack me up.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
actually- four common sizes- 5, 10, and 20 lb tanks are usually for bbq grills and such, and 30 lb. which is generally used for forklifts and such for steel tanks.. Aluminum tanks are usually 6 lb. and 11 lb. Fiberglass tanks are usually 10, 20 and 30 lb. BTW, the 30 lb. tanks shouldn't be used with bbq grills as a general rule, since they don't have a restrictor to prevent liquid propane from getting out of the tank to the device. Liquid propane getting into a grill is a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Insignificant nit-pick point, but the 2 standard, refillable propane cylinder size options are, 10 lb & 20 lb, not 5 lb & 10 lb.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-22-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Had a 5lb alum. cylinder on a portable grill back in the late 70's - early 80s . . . tossed it since I couldn't get it refilled anywhere. I don't think it's standard today and not many cruisers keep that size onboard.
Old 05-22-2008
Banned

bushrat is on a distinguished road
I love my 5 and 10 pound refillable cylinders for the boats magma, BBQ picnics, the beach, camping etc. A great size for portability. As someone who has worked in the propane industy, a jury rig is no place for a propane rig! Get the adapter hose and a refillable cylinder which will pay for itself quickly.
Old 05-22-2008
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
I love my 5 and 10 pound refillable cylinders for the boats magma, BBQ picnics, the beach, camping etc. A great size for portability. As someone who has worked in the propane industy, a jury rig is no place for a propane rig! Get the adapter hose and a refillable cylinder which will pay for itself quickly.
just a question-where did you get the tanks,i just went to ct,home depot,lowes this past weekend and cant find them.my next stop is a bbq store but they generally have bigger tanks.