Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-11-2008

daHorton is on a distinguished road
Fresh Water System

I have a cruising boat, C&C 29, that is equipped with a sink in the galley and in the head. We have a pressure water system that seems not to be working properly after we launched this year.

As part of our winterizing we ran anti freeze through the whole system. In the spring we filled up our tank and launched our boat. Now when I turn on the pressure water system i notice two things:

a) The pump never shuts off by itself. ( I seem to recall that it would shut after building up enough pressure)

b)When I open the tap, water does come out but then it spurts and sputters.

Is there some kind of bleeding process that I need to do?
Do I perhaps have a pressure leak?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Sounds like the pump is the problem. Probably a bad diaphragm.
Old 05-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Either the pump is bad or you've got a leak in the accumulator tank or somewhere else in the pressure side of the system. If it hasn't pumped your fresh water tank dry, then the problem is most likely the pump and not a leak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-11-2008
Heeled over

minggat is on a distinguished road
The spurts and sputters indicate that you are sucking air, which means a leak in the suction side of your system, not the pressure side. I am not saying the problem is not in the pump, but you are introducing air to the system. You don't say if you have a diaphram pump or a vane pump. I can see the problem might well be in a diaphram pump. But a hole in the diaphram that can suck air would also spurt out air or water in the pressure stroke.
Old 05-11-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
It takes a while to work the spurts and sputters out. If there is still a lot of air on the pressure side of the system, the pump won't shut off either. Turn on all your faucets and let the water run until the spurts and sputters quit before troubleshooting anything else. If it never quits, then I agree with minggat, air leak on the suction side.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 05-12-2008

daHorton is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone for your input. Now I have something to diagnose.
BTW We have a diaphram type pump.
Old 05-12-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Start by checking your system everywhere. Are you sure that you have connected everything everywhere ? Did you drain the hot water heater and remove the line ? Have you reconnected it ?

Your pump has a pressure sensitive switch on it that tells it when to turn on and off. This can need adjustment occasionally.

When you are sure that everything is open or closed and attached or isolated, fill your water tank up all the way. Give the water a little time to make its way into the system. If you have any air traps or loops in the system, you may need to prime some areas.

Then turn the pump on and let it pump everything through. If everything is fine and it still won't turn off, then you need to adjust the pressure switch. They can get cruddy and stiff with age. Look for a manual online for the pump and adjust it until it is working well. The switch is usually up at the top end near the intake.

Good Luck
Old 05-12-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Im about to redo the whole freshwater system in my Pearson. I've got the tank under the settee cleaned out so i can use it again and ive got an 11 tank under the cockpit that is plumbed to the foot pump in the galley only. My boat is at anchor and will be staying there, so im wondering should i move to a pressure system or keep my foot pumps. So far ive only got one in the galley. I had planed to install one in the head also. For my hot water ive got one of those camping hot water heaters. It doesnt come inside the cabin, it sets on the deck right outside of the hatch over the head.

If i go with a pressure system i will use PEX for the plumbing. Unless i find a propane hot water heater that i like and can install safely i will stick to my little camping heater. I know that i will need a pump, but do i need an acumlator?

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Old 05-12-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I know that i will need a pump, but do i need an acumlator?
You don't need an accumulator if your water system is a closed one that enables pressure to build in it. If not, then you need the accumulator.

Last edited by Sailormann; 05-12-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
An accumulator will generally also allow more than one sink to be used without a huge pressure drop and may reduce the amount of time the pump runs.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.