Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-12-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
going mobile

I've taken a step further toward that goal. I signed up for Verizon internet access. i have had a Treo 700 for a while but used it only as a phone/pda. I'm sitting at the airport typing this. What will be very nice is cruising the boat and having access (except in NC & Bahamas) up and down the coast.
Next is signing up with active captain mobile.

Fun toys!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Welcome to Verizon, ain't it cool
If you search hard enough you will find a hack that lets you get up to 5gb of data service 'under the radar' (no charge).
Old 05-12-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
x- I've got the Treo 700 wx (I think the wx part is right) It has internet ability, but also can act as a teathered modem for a laptop.
Old 05-12-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
I am using this as a tethered modem right now. The 5gb tethered plan is costing me $15 extra per month until Palm gets their act together and updates the software. Then there will be no tethering charge. Supposedly that will happen soon. 700P is palm & 700W is windows. windows has more features but is more complex. Better that I went palm!
Untethered there is no limit on data use. Active Captain Mobile is designed to work with the treo for a lot of interesting cruising features. I'll dig into that in my spare time.
Old 05-12-2008
<----- thinking of this

JSL3 is on a distinguished road
I too use the Treo 700wx (windows OS) and love it. I have used the tethering option for internet access on a laptop and it works well in pinch. Obviously for data intensive needs, nothing beats a hardwired broadband connection but I have no complaints.
The best thing IMHO about the Treo 700wx is the internet access it provides on the device itself. If you set a bookmark in the Treo browser for the WAP versions of many sites, it is amazing what data you can have at your fingertips anywhere there is coverage.
My two favorites for my area are:
1. weather underground mobile site link (wap version). You can get live weather radar in motion on your phone, how cool!
2. thomas point lighthouse NOAA data bouy station link (non wap version). Great for wind data where I sail
Old 05-12-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
As a luxury, you might want to buy an EVDO router for boat use. I just placed an order today for a Kyocera KR2. On one side is a wireless connection - 802.11n or 802.11b/g. On the other side are several connections - USB, PCMCIA, etc. - allowing you to plug in an aircard or other EVDO device from many different manufacturers. The EVDO router allows you to separate the aircard from your laptop or other devices and create a secured wireless connection - allowing you to connect one or more computers to your EVDO Internet access via standard wireless.

Normally, I can only put my laptop one place on my boat - a place within reach of one of the hatches, where I lay my EVDO modem connected to a USB extender. Now, I can use my laptop anywhere on my boat and just connect the EVDO router near the hatch.

I also bought (and will be testing) a USB extender that uses twisted pair connections to extend the distance (Cables Unlimited. Normally, USB is limited to 5 meters. This product will let you extend it to 150 feet over a patch cable. I plan on connecting my USB EVDO Modem to a halyard and then raising it up the mast to get better reception. I'm hopeful this product will allow me to do it. We'll see!!
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 05-12-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Labatt-

If you're going to raise the EVDO modem up on a halyard, don't forget to put it in a weather proof box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-13-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Labatt,

Why don't you use Bluetooth?? My HP laptop has Bluetooth and my HTC Touch 3G PDA/phone comes with internet access and full instructions for acting as a bluetooth internet router.

No need for cables and has a range of around 5-15 metres - 5 being through bulkheads and 15 being line-of-sight - and it's secure by design.. works great on our little Hartley where ther's too much stuff to trip over already!
Old 05-13-2008

Labatt
Please report on your findings with the elevated antenna. That would make coastal sailing while connected very easy. good for updated weather, etc...
Old 05-13-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I really have to be "backcountry", not to connect with Verizon using my laptop. Even then, I'm never more than an hour away from coming within range.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog