Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-07-2002

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
Volvo MD2

I am considering buying a boat with the Volvo MD2. I have heard getting parts is very difficult. Any advice/experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2002

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Volvo MD2

I rebuilt my MD2B in ''98, ordering parts from Chase-Leavitt in Portland, Maine. I think they''ve gotten out of the parts biz, though. The parts came virtually overnight from Sweden. Not a problem.
Old 06-08-2002

windancer1 is on a distinguished road
Volvo MD2

I rebuilt my md2 3 years ago and had no problem getting parts. One thing though, Volvo parts are expensive. What I also did was to aquire a spare parts engine for the expensive large parts. I know you can still get just about anything from Volvo.

It is a good long lasting engine. Only thing is, the one that you are considering, does it have the dynastarter (2 belts) or a regular gear drive? The dynastarter is very$$$$$. Mine was rebuilt before I purchased the boat It still works fine , just takes a few rev''s to get it started.

Hope this helps

Also get the manual from Volvo

Dave R.
Old 06-10-2002

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Volvo MD2

One thing: Lessee, this was 4 years ago now. The manual, written by Swedish engineers, had some errors that slowed me down in my rebuild a few times. The big one was in determining how many 0.008" paper shims to put in under the jugs. You''re supposed to put in 4 shims and start tearing them out AFTER strapping across the jugs with a homemade jig and torqueing it down to spec (without the head on). You measure the remaining space at the top of the cylinder at TDC and you measure the amount the head hangs down into the cylinder and calculate the difference. This indicates whether you''re in acceptable parameters and tells you whether to remove or add shims. The point is to keep the valves from striking the piston. The manual had a figure of something like "the difference should be 0.37" or some such crap where the engineers misplaced a decimal point. I wound up just stacking 4 shims and calling it good after going through a dozen shims. Brain no work with head under sink for hours on end. She fine. Volvo parts expensive. Find a used MD2B for parts is good idea. Oh yeah. Copper oil lift lines that come up through the jugs become brittle. If you''re taking off the jugs anyway, replace both fore and aft lines. They WILL break. I did my rebuild in place. I had to undo the engine mounts and lift it slightly to access the the cover to the starboard side of the crankcase. I managed new bearings on the pistons. NOTE: Disconnect your shaft before you do this. There''s a vane of some sort in the transmission that WILL break, causing big problems. Have fun. Get a quote, just for the sake of looking at the guy that''ll do the work, and convince yourself that if HE can do it, YOU can do it....KW

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.