SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

My outboard won't start now...

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  eMKay 
#1 ·
The NS5B that came with my 192 ran great when I started it the first time, but no water was coming out of the water output, so I ordered a water pump kit, installed it, and started it again but this time it ran like crap so I shut it off right away. I looked in the fuel tank that came with it, RED GAS! It was full of rust, so I got a new tank, new gas, and cleaned out the carb but now when I try and start it I get nothing, and fuel is pouring out the bottom end, and the primer bulb will not firm up, it firmed up within 3 pumps before, but now will not at all.

One thing I noticed was where the fuel enters the carb, a little box attached to the carb, there is a diaphram that appears to be leaky, is this what holds pressure? Is fuel just pouring past this and through the carb? I'm an auto tech so I'm mechanically inclined, but I know squat about 2 stroke engines.

Either I fix this by Sunday or I buy a nice 4 stroke...

#2 ·
fuel is pouring out the bottom end, and the primer bulb will not firm up, it firmed up within 3 pumps before, but now will not at all.
One possibility, float valve in carb held open.

One thing I noticed was where the fuel enters the carb, a little box attached to the carb, there is a diaphram that appears to be leaky, is this what holds pressure?
I'm not quite sure by the description whether that's the carburator bowl gasket you're describing, but that shouldn't leak either, but the float valve is what regulates how much fuel is allowed into the carb.

#4 ·
That's right and it could be that the needle valve has a piece of dirt under it that doesn't allow it to fully seat/close. Sometimes the float itself develops a leak, fills up with fluid, so it doesn't float any more. And sometimes, it's just that the little pins and linkages don't quite get assembled right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.