Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-15-2008

FortAwesomeIII is on a distinguished road
Adler Barbour Troubleshooting (LED Flash)

I have an Adler Barbour SuperColdMachine of unknown age in a 1985 model Endeavour Sailboat. As of about a month ago, it's cooling ability greatly diminished and then appeared to be non working at all. I turned the fridge off for about 1 week, then turned it back on. It worked at 100% for a few days, maybe a week, then returned to not working. I attempted to trouble shoot it using the flashing LED(which flashes 3 times). According to the manual, this is a situation where the compressor rotor is physically blocked OR a high pressure condition exists that is preventing the motor from starting up. There is around 12vdc reaching the unit(I checked), so that is not a problem. Do yall think this is fixable or should I start shopping?

By the way, I have installed a portable 14 Q Engel Deep Freeze for my meat products with a min/max thermometer. I LOVE this unit and would highly recommend it.
"I couldn't do the things the way those people do.
I couldn't live there if you paid me to. "
The Talking Heads
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Probably worth the $100 bucks for a checkout before you spend the bucks for a new one. Have you checked all fuses on the compressor?
Old 05-15-2008

FortAwesomeIII is on a distinguished road
Yes, I believe I have. However, the unit is mounted in such a way that I can't see(just feel) the terminal connection side of the unit. I really cant even see the LED, just the reflection of it flashing. I will have to remove my sink and some plumbing to extract the unit or gain access to the terminal/fuse side.

What do they do when they check it? Refrigerant test and such?
"I couldn't do the things the way those people do.
I couldn't live there if you paid me to. "
The Talking Heads
Old 05-15-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
They will generally check refrigerant levels and electrical connections both to the unit and on the terminal block. They may also use a sniffer for leaks. It could be something as simple as a loose wire from vibration over time...or a blown compressor.
Old 05-15-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
They will generally check refrigerant levels and electrical connections both to the unit and on the terminal block. They may also use a sniffer for leaks. It could be something as simple as a loose wire from vibration over time...or a blown compressor.
If he is getting cooling for a day or so the compressor should be ok and the refrigerant level should be ok. What type of condensor is used, air cooled or water cooled? I would look for a bad electrical connection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 05-15-2008
moderate?

Den...I was thinking more of a compressor that would run till hot then shut down when I said "blown"...more in the not fixable than not running at all category. I am thinking low coolant or slow leak...whether fixable or not...unknown.
Old 05-15-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Cam,

I'm looking at it's ability to cool back down again for a few days or a week. That leads me to think the refrigerant and compressor are ok. So there may be a problem with a dirty or corroded electrical connection, compressor drawing more amps. Or a condenser problem , a dirty air cooled condenser or if water cooled a corroded, partially blocked condenser or water pump problem. A slim chance of a low side leak that let in some moisture and the capillary tube gets blocked do to ice, but after being off for a week the system should show signs of being short of gas.

's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 05-15-2008

He did say under the sink, so that should be an air cooled unit, right?

's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 05-15-2008

donhallmon is on a distinguished road
Check the condenser coils

I have had similer problems with one that was installed in a boat I bought about 3 years ago and it was due to lack of ventilation. You may want to check that the condenser coils aren't clogged with dust or dirt, which could overheat the compressor after contunuous running.
Old 05-16-2008

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
you have a supercold machine, is that raw water cool ?
if yes, any fouling of the cooling circuit ?