Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-15-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
Outboard chainplates would not work because of layout and construction. If I replace these - I'd have to replace them with something of the same type. Appearance may not be important but cost certainly is. Seriously, though, would a rigging company be able to do dye testing? Or do I need a specialized metal shop or some such?
I don't know. In truth, I have never used a dye test. I use a scotch-bright pad and a magnifying glass. Not too scientific, but I have found cracks where surveyors have missed them.
I bet there are others here who have first hand knowledge about dye testing though.

Edit: Caution...I just found out I may not be competent.

Last edited by knothead; 05-15-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Given your rigging is coming up on 30 years old... it might make sense to replace it, especially if your boat is on salt water. If it is on fresh water, and always has been, the rigging might be fine. But $375 isn't that much and replacing it might be a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyka200s View Post
So…. Is the general consensus, “when in doubt replace?” I’m asking because my new (to me) 80 Catalina is box stock and it appears while the boat was well cared for, most everything is original…

I know there isn’t a lot of stress on a Catalina 22 rigging but better safe than sorry?

What say you all?

BTW.. Catalina Direct sells the whole rigging for $375.00

Thanks

1980 S/K Catalina 22 # 9846

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-15-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I don't know. In truth, I have never used a dye test. I use a scotch-bright pad and a magnifying glass. Not too scientific, but I have found cracks where surveyors have missed them.
I bet there are others here who have first hand knowledge about dye testing though.
I might try that first Seems low tech but I have good eye. I am rebedding chainplates this weekend anyway - will clean one up from old paint and try to take a long hard look. I guess "positive" result won't help as much - there could still be invisible cracks, but at least it's a start.
Old 05-15-2008
Junior Birdman

Iflyka200s is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Given your rigging is coming up on 30 years old... it might make sense to replace it, especially if your boat is on salt water. If it is on fresh water, and always has been, the rigging might be fine. But $375 isn't that much and replacing it might be a good idea.

That was one of those "here's your sign" things.... Once I wrote it I thought... $375 or possibly loose the mast.... all of a sudden $375 is pretty cheap!

(thanks for the needed swift kick!)

Catalina Direct: Standing Rigging Kit <-85

Last edited by Iflyka200s; 05-15-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... have you priced masts recently??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-15-2008

jorapazu is on a distinguished road
try x-ray for chainplates. it will show if you need to replace them. Better than replacing the mast if you loose one.
Old 05-15-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Hey Knothead, related question for you et al

I found this thread quite interesting.
My Tartan 27 is from 1967 and while I believe that the rigging has been replaced with Norsemen fittings it is the chain plates on my boat that worry me most. We had to replace the after stay chain plate a few years ago as it absolutely needed it. Now the chain plates for the shrouds worry me.
My boat, as braks, has a chain plate through bolted to wood with the whole thing glassed over in a knee wall affair. Thus the SS bolts are deprived of air. I want to do a better job with the shroud chain plates and have been considering the outboard chain plates as you suggested. Where does one go to find such material? I would need 4 plates (upper & lower, port & stbd).
Thanks for the warning.

my boat: Odalisque - Home Page

Everybody has one:

Old 05-15-2008
Telstar 28

I'm glad that the chainplates on my boat were designed to be easily replaced. The shroud chainplates are attached to the hull on the inside of the hull by through-bolting, and then pass through the deck and have a cover plate there. The stay chainplates are through bolted to the exterior of the bow and transom.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-15-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
The stay chainplates on my boat are easy to inspect and look pretty good from what I can tell. The shrouds are another story, though with the rig being as short as it is - I suppose danger is relative. As I told a few hundred times here - I lost my forestay (due to brand new part), and the rest of the rig was then subjected to severe beating. Still there, knock wood.
Old 05-15-2008

TomandKarens34 is on a distinguished road
So if my rigging ends pass the Zy-glo crack test, has no obvious rust, the turnbuckels have room for tightening, and there are no broken wire strands, am I OK?? Its a saltwater boat, 29 years old. Could this be the original rigging?