Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-16-2008

funsailthekeys is on a distinguished road
I have to do this task fairly often and found for me the best and easiest was to use a 6 to 1 block and tackle and haul my self up. I think for me it's best to be able to try and do most things myself. I shouldn't have to mention the use of a safety tether.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The problem with using a six-to-one tackle, is that you have to have a really, really long line to use on the tackle. If your mast is 40' long, you need to have 250' or so of line for the block and tackle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-16-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
The problem with using a six-to-one tackle, is that you have to have a really, really long line to use on the tackle. If your mast is 40' long, you need to have 250' or so of line for the block and tackle.

I use the six to one if I am alone and the two to one if I have help on deck. I have 600' on the spool but most sailors would only need to have enough to climb their own mast.

I use a ratchet block for the two to one. It's possible to haul myself up with it but I have to rest a couple of times.

With the 6 to 1 I get tired just having to move so much line. I think it's safer though.

Last edited by knothead; 10-29-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-16-2008

sneuman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Joe-

You shouldn't need two friends cranking away on winches
Good information in this post, but I would disagree on one point. You NEED two people to be safe. It's not easy to crank you up the mast and you'll want backup. You also absolutely need two lines that are cinched up simultaneously. That's not only for safety, but because if one line gets a round-turn on the winch, you'll need the other ready to take up the slack to free it (yet another reason for TWO people on deck).
Old 05-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You might want to read my entire reply. YOU DON'T NEED TWO PEOPLE ON WINCHES. You can use a static safety line with a line ascender attached to it and clipped to your bosun's chair/climbing harness. I never said you didn't need a safety line. Finding two people to help you ascend a mast is often far more difficult than finding just one. If the winch gets an override, you can transfer your weight to the ascender and backup line, and then allow the winch to be freed. I've done it this way for years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Good information in this post, but I would disagree on one point. You NEED two people to be safe. It's not easy to crank you up the mast and you'll want backup. You also absolutely need two lines that are cinched up simultaneously. That's not only for safety, but because if one line gets a round-turn on the winch, you'll need the other ready to take up the slack to free it (yet another reason for TWO people on deck).

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-16-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
You only need one person to send you up the mast. Have him send you up with the main halyard, and keep the spinnaker halyard attached and secured once you're up. In my opinion, the real danger is falling AWAY from the mast in the event that, say, the shackle fails. So... you keep your arms around the mast, and try to assist the grunt who's grinding away on deck with a little shimmying on your part. If something fails, you'll experience that wonderful sensation you had in third grade gym class when the teacher made up climb the rope. Yeah, baby!
Old 05-16-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
LOOK...

THAT'S IT...I QUIT SAILNET

HOW THE HELL CAN I RESIST....PLEASE...TELL ME..HOW??????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????/
how?????????????????????????????????

Then I photoshop...and/or say something...and get pounded by all the POLITICAL CORRECT idiots as ususal...

HOW CAN I RESIST?????????????????????????????????

HOW????????????????????????????

I QUIT.....

BYE...
Old 05-16-2008

swadiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
LOOK...

THAT'S IT...I QUIT SAILNET

HOW THE HELL CAN I RESIST....PLEASE...TELL ME..HOW??????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????/
how?????????????????????????????????

Then I photoshop...and/or say something...and get pounded by all the POLITICAL CORRECT idiots as ususal...

HOW CAN I RESIST?????????????????????????????????

HOW????????????????????????????

I QUIT.....

BYE...
Giu,

Common Giu say what you want. We are all big boys and should be able to take it.

Long Beach, Ca.
s/v Namaste - 86 Catalina 30 , Tall Rig

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.
Old 05-16-2008
Telstar 28

Who's pounding on our resident Portagee artisté???

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-16-2008

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Good advice above. Your personal test will come when the winch snubber is lowering you back down (this should be somebody you trust and have not mistreated in life) and you reach the spreaders (for me, there was only one set of spreaders, nowadays it might even be two or three sets). When you get there, *resist* the temptation to put your feet onto the spreaders and "rest". This is the sign of an amateur. Be a "pro", let your feet and legs dangle below the spreaders as the winchdude (or dudette) lowers you, and continue your trip down. You will then arrive on deck in a casual James-Bondish way and should then be recognized as an experinced mast-climber/descender, and should be rewarded with a rum and Coke.