Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-11-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Brak-

You've never rappelled I take it. The figure eight is a plain old rappelling carabiner.
Nope, I am not into mountain climbing in any of its manifestations to be honest. I guess I'll just use ascenders in reverse and see how it works.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2008

Sometimesbrilliant is on a distinguished road
If you are going up frequently and want stability in plenty of weather:

OnRope1: Mast Climber

Or check out the local caving club and learn a few lessons from them.
Old 06-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sometimes-

Very nice, but a bit pricey.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-12-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Sometimes-

Very nice, but a bit pricey.
Very pricey in many regards. But by compasion to the cost of other safety items, not too bad. I wouldn't pick something like this kit up if I were going up the mast once a year. But if I was going offshore and had any concerns about trips up the mast during nasty weather ... I might.

Of course the system is useless if you don't know how to use it.

One final suggestion. Pick up an asscender like the other poster had said. You can find these at outdoor supply shops. In the US places like REI, in Canada MEC, etc. I would not look at the Petzl, it can twist and come off the rope (not easily, but still).

Take a look at a "Gibs" ascender (Gibbs Ascenders) . I would go aloft on rope one, but also have a second line rigged to be taunt and safe and attach the Gibs to the second line just in case something happens to line one.

Dan
Old 06-12-2008

Zanshin is on a distinguished road

The figure 8 is a friction device, held as in the picture will stop the descent, if the user moves his/her right hand holding the rope forward and/or up the friction decreases and you can descend.

Old 06-13-2008
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sometimesbrilliant View Post
I would not look at the Petzl, it can twist and come off the rope (not easily, but still).

Dan
In years of climbing, and with tons of friends who use them too, I have never seen a properly setup Petzl Ascender "twist and come off the rope". Maybe I don't understand what you mean by that? I don't know how it could if properly setup.

Old 06-13-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
In years of climbing, and with tons of friends who use them too, I have never seen a properly setup Petzl Ascender "twist and come off the rope". Maybe I don't understand what you mean by that? I don't know how it could if properly setup.
Hehehe, not to get too off topic but... yeah in the climbing world I can say I've never seen one twist off of a rope. But in the caving world, I've had it happen a couple of times where you are not on pure vertical, but doing an traverse or such. It's highly unlikely to happen sailing of course but I figure I'd recommend the Gibs over the Petzl cause of the nature of the Gibs always encapsulating the rope vs the Petzl open access. Also I've found the Gibs easier to down climb with versus the Petzl due to the nature of the cam action of each.

Dan
Old 06-13-2008
Sea Slacker

So I tried ascenders today. Didn't get too far again - halfway to spreaders. It's a lot harder than I expected. The part of "standing in the foot loop" really isn't working properly. I have to pull myself up with one hand, then push off with my legs and I have just a brief moment to move harness ascender up, as I am hanging from the line mainly on one hand. It's like doing one-handed pull ups all the time. I don't know if I'll ever be able to go even to the spreaders that way.

Going down isn't great either - ascenders are not particularly suited for descent, as someone mentioned, plus it feels like I am falling every time (or I have to pull myself up by hand again).

There's gotta be a better way. I probably do need to try the 6:1 purchase block and line.
Old 06-13-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
I've enjoyed following this thread.
I've tried the ascenders once. I think it was at a boat show. It was a little awkward but I felt that if I practiced enough I would eventually get the hang of it.
By that time I had been hauling myself up partially stayed masts pretty regularly for over 5 years. Usually with coils of standing rigging and at least 10 or 15 lbs of various tools and materials.
I couldn't picture myself, using this system while carrying everything I needed, on a regular basis.
Perhaps for a specific job, once in a while where i didn't have to wear a chair with a half a dozen pockets filled with various and sundry items. But not something I could use on a every day. Too much moving around.
With my block and tackle I can carry everything I need smoothly and safely every time.

KISS.....My motto

I am not a mountain climber but have rappelled once. It was fun.

Steve
Old 06-13-2008
Sea Slacker

knothead - so what hardware do I need to make this 6:1 thing? A triple block and a triple block with cam? What line would work for that? Would I be able to use that to work on masthead?

I have to do this quickly - sailing without VHF is just not fun (I have a handheld for now).