Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-13-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You need a lot of line, about 6.5 times the height of the mast or so...and a triple block and a triple block with becket and cam. You could use most dacron double braids 5/16" or thicker.

Harken P/N 2648 and 2640— The weaker of these two has a SWL of 990 lbs., and at a six-to-one ratio, means a 180 lb. person would need about 35 lbs. of force to haul his butt up the mast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
knothead - so what hardware do I need to make this 6:1 thing? A triple block and a triple block with cam? What line would work for that? Would I be able to use that to work on masthead?

I have to do this quickly - sailing without VHF is just not fun (I have a handheld for now).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 06-13-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Cool, gotta buy this then. Anyone needs brand new pair of ascenders?
Old 06-13-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Brak-

If you bought them from a place with a good return policy...take 'em back...since they're not going to work for your intended use.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-13-2008
San Juan 26

LittleMissMagic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by imiloa View Post
An alternative to the chair or Topclimber is a product called Mast Mate. It's basically a flexible ladder made of webbing that you hoist up the mast.
I checked into the mastmate myself and in addition to cost as SemiJim mentioned, You have to remove your mainsail to use it. This just seems like a pain compared to other options.
Old 06-13-2008
Telstar 28

It can be used without being attached to the mast track...just not as effective to use it that way. If you use it free-standing, you will need to anchor the bottom fairly securely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissMagic View Post
I checked into the mastmate myself and in addition to cost as SemiJim mentioned, You have to remove your mainsail to use it. This just seems like a pain compared to other options.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-13-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
I use a solid bearing acetal sheave triple and a triple with becket and cam cleat. (which I removed). These were made by Ronstan. I used a pair of ball bearing Lewmar blocks for awhile but they didn't hold up. The bearingless Ronstans were just as good easy to use and had a higher working load.

I didn't use the cam cleat. I removed it completely. The block with the becket I haul to the top and tie myself off using the D-ring and spring hook.

The line can be reeved so that no two parts cross if you turn one block 90 degrees from the other.

SD is right, you need to have a lot of line for this system. 7 times the length of your mast.

I use 7/16" spun dacron double braid. It will burn like hell if you let it run through your hand but it provides a good grip.

I tried 3/8" but it was too small and my hands would cramp.

Steve
Old 06-13-2008
Telstar 28

Good point on the line thickness. 5/16" line, with a BL of 3000 is usually good enough strength-wise, but 3/8" or 7/16" are better for grip purposes.

BTW, I'd agree that using a solid bearing sheave rather than ball-bearing sheave makes more sense, since the block and tackle is generally going to be used in fairly static way most of the time.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-13-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
You need a lot of line, about 6.5 times the height of the mast or so...and a triple block and a triple block with becket and cam. You could use most dacron double braids 5/16" or thicker.

Harken P/N 2648 and 2640— The weaker of these two has a SWL of 990 lbs., and at a six-to-one ratio, means a 180 lb. person would need about 35 lbs. of force to haul his butt up the mast.
Hmmm... About $120 for the 2648 and $80 for the 2640. Defender's got 5/16" LST "recreational" yachting double braid for $0.46/ft. For our 40' mast x 6-1/2, that'd be $120. We're up to $320. The bosun's chair: About another $120 or so? So we're up to $440?

The TopClimber ($350 at Defender), Mast Mate ($357, $427 if you add the belt and stuff), and even the OnRope1 ($440) are competitive, looks like.

Jim
Old 06-13-2008
Telstar 28

Jim-

If you already have a triple block setup, for your mainsheet or boom vang, the price of using a six-to-one block drops incredibly... I have a six-to-one mainsheet setup.... and a climbing harness... so the only thing I'd need is the line... Of course, I use two ascenders instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
Hmmm... About $120 for the 2648 and $80 for the 2640. Defender's got 5/16" LST "recreational" yachting double braid for $0.46/ft. For our 40' mast x 6-1/2, that'd be $120. We're up to $320. The bosun's chair: About another $120 or so? So we're up to $440?

The TopClimber ($350 at Defender), Mast Mate ($357, $427 if you add the belt and stuff), and even the OnRope1 ($440) are competitive, looks like.

Jim

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 06-13-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Jim-

If you already have a triple block setup, for your mainsheet or boom vang, the price of using a six-to-one block drops incredibly...
Of course

Quote:
I have a six-to-one mainsheet setup....
So do I, but the thought of de-reeving my mainsheet, reeving the line to ascend the mast, de-reeving that and re-reeving my mainsheet... *shudder*

Figuring out the reeving of the mainsheet in the first place gave me a headache!

Jim