Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-16-2008
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Going Up the mast

OK, I've got it figured out. I have a good bosun's seat. I have to check some wire connections and change a couple of bulbs to LEDs. So that means two trips. I have a safety belt, I'm using both halyards and 2 winches. I will likely have two friends cranking away. My $1,000,000 question....How do I get safely lowered down? The winches only turn one way?? I can shinny and this is probably a dumb question...I'd really like the 'standard of care' answer.
I did see that post where Pigslo suggested paying a rigger $50...thats still an option.
Old 05-16-2008

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Using Winches Safely

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zanshin; 05-16-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Joe-

You shouldn't need two friends cranking away on winches... the safety line most people use is a fixed halyard, that is fastened near the base of the mast. You put a line ascender on it and then clip your harness to the line ascender. The line ascender comes up with you as you climb, and you lower it as you get lowered.

Yes, winches only turn one way, but if you take the line out of the self-tailer, you can ease the line down, using the wraps of line around the drum as a friction brake/clutch. By controlling the pressure on the tail of the line, you can ease the line and fat captain down fairly easily... much in the same way you'd ease a genoa line when the sail trim needs to be let out. See this sailnet article. (I think this is the same article as Zanshin had but with a fixed link)

BTW, I highly recommend you get used to doing it yourself... when your 20 +miles out...there usually isn't a rigger handy to pay.

This is a line ascender, which you can buy at REI or any good outdoor recreation store, and basically the same as the one I use. It is very similar in operation to a line stopper or cam clutch.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 05-16-2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-16-2008
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Tell your winch man to slip the line slowly and continuously. A lot start by letting it out in jerks, which gets quite bouncy for the guy in the chair.
Old 05-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you've got two people on deck, have the other one hold the line in a waist-belay, so that if the first person screws up, you won't end up as a deck splat. It is so hard to get blood stains out of gelcoat, unless you've waxed it properly first.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-16-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Joe-

....This is a line ascender, which you can buy at REI or any good outdoor recreation store, and basically the same as the one I use. It is very similar in operation to a line stopper or cam clutch.

SD,

I'm glad you let us know you have one of these devices...should I have a need up the mast I now know I can call you to come over and demonstrate how to use it properly.

PS. FWIW, I use a car battery pak to test all my lights just before the mast goes up, I wouldn't want SD to have to go up the mast on a lark.
Old 05-16-2008
Telstar 28

SF-

You're cheating...testing the lights before putting up the mast... You big chicken...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-16-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Starter Pak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
SF-

You're cheating...testing the lights before putting up the mast... You big chicken...
Yanno several years ago my wife bought one of these paks and put it in the trunk of her car. I complained at the time that it was a needless expense...of course since then it has started her, mine and several other cars a dozen times, usually in the nastiest of winter cold. She complains when it disappears to the boat for a week or two, as I use it to test the mast light circuits, and keep it aboard for the critical first start (just in case) as the boat floats off the trailer.

I guess I need to buy my own. So much for being a know-it-all.
Attached Thumbnails
Going Up the mast-sdibp-dl003.jpg  

Last edited by sailingfool; 05-16-2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-16-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Gravity usually works best for lowering someone down from a high place.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 05-16-2008
Telstar 28

Gravity can be very, very unkind to people coming down from a high place...

Telstar 28
New England