Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-17-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
OH I forgot...

When messing about with an engine like this make sure you sea **** thru hull is closed ..as excessive cranking of the enging can fill the muffler with raw water flooding the engine...just dont forget to open it when she fires..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Yes you would think so and that was the premise of my first post...You had it running so it is a process of elimination now...

It sounds to me like you have more of an issue with cold start turning speed then a fuel issue..the more we talk here..

Diesels need a strong cold start speed as mentioned compression is what ignites the fuel ( alibert helped with pre heat ) but if she is laboring to turn over that is 98% of you problum for sure..
Then I am at a loss here... it was 80+ degrees today and she turned over at 50 degrees prior... Check your PM.... I'll do my best to investigate what is posted but I know my limitations and mechanics is not one of them... in those cases I learn from watching someone ... this is the only case where I find paying someone is worth the money...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-17-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Jody:

Here is what a bank of injectors looks like...They will be close to the top of the engine but outside the valve cover...there will be variations with engines...The feed lines are the one you want to bleed.( These can also be on top of the injector they will have usualy a 11/16 nut) ...The return lines you dont have to bleed.

This is just for future information..as i sit here waiting to pick my daughters up from Prom..
Attached Thumbnails
Yanmar doesn't start.arggggggggggggg!-injectors.jpg  

Last edited by Stillraining; 05-17-2008 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-17-2008
Coastal Cruiser

Bill Mc is on a distinguished road
Hope this helps.

First you need to bleed the filters. They should be gravity feed and the small screw should be loosened till you no longer see air and have a steady stream of fuel. Next you should loosen the screw on the injector pump and cycle the lever on the fuel pump. If your engine has stopped in the wrong location you will feel no resistance on the lever when you pump. If this is so, bump the motor a time or two. The fuel pump is cam driven so it needs to be on the low spot of the lobe. Continue to pump till you see a steady stream of fuel and no more air escaping. When you no longer see air escaping try to close the screw while on a downward stroke of the fuel pump lever. Keep the thru hull for the motors cooling water closed. Open your compression releases and advance the throttle to 3/4. crank the engine for 15 sec and have a beer or wait about 1 min and crank again for 15 sec have another beer or wait once again for your starter to cool. Excesive cranking will smoke the starter. Close the compression releases and start the engine. If it still doesn't start you need to repeat the process all over again.

PS ensure that the fuel petcock is open. And don't repeat my mistake of not checking to make sure the transmittion is in Neutral

I hope that this is some help. sometimes removing all the air from a fuel system will lead you to drink.... Cheers

Fair Winds,

Bill
Old 05-17-2008

theartfuldodger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to theartfuldodger
In reading this problem I can't for the life of me, don't understand why you don't call a mechanic, this is the kind of thing I spoke to in another thread on mechanics. I would think by the time you call someone for help you will have caused yourself more troubles and dollar expense. There are other simple test to quickly sory out this problem.
Old 05-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't forget, that if you have a water-lift type muffler, you shouldn't try starting it repeatedly or for long periods of time as that can draw water up the exhaust and into the engine. If it doesn't start relatively easily, close the raw water intake for the exhaust until it starts up.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-17-2008
Handsome devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Don't forget, that if you have a water-lift type muffler, you shouldn't try starting it repeatedly or for long periods of time as that can draw water up the exhaust and into the engine. If it doesn't start relatively easily, close the raw water intake for the exhaust until it starts up.
Hmmmm..Thought I covered that already..
Old 05-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yup, you did, but it bears repeating, since hyrdolocking the engine really sucks...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-17-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Thanks everyone, I'll try all the listed. Hopefully today will be a better day at it.

Artful: Ever tried getting a mechanic to come down and actually do it without scheduling you 3 - 4 weeks out, and then when that time comes around seems something else always comes up and its post poned again? We have two shops onsite and as always the response is "Booked can't help you right now." If I had a mechanic that I knew could come down and do it today or sometime first of the week, I would. But this isn't the thread discussion for that because I could write a book on the subject.

So, a few more cups of coffee and down to the boat I shall go...thanks again everyone...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 05-17-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Good luck Jody,

Checking in before heading to shilshoal for another three races today, hopefully with winds as there were yesterday in the 12-18 range!

by the way, yes you can use WD40 if need be as a starting fluid, crank and spray in. If you have glow plugs, DO NOT start spraying until the engine in cranking, then let off when it pops ie sounds like it will start, or after a couple of seconds. WD should not ignite when the glow plugs go off, but better to not take a chance. I am assuming that the glow plugs would be automatic such as in you pickup. If manual like on my bobcat and trackhoe, not big when you spray in, if you do before cranking, DO NOT engage the glow plug button! It may take two of you on board the boat to succeed with this option.

Marty

Last edited by blt2ski; 05-17-2008 at 10:13 AM.