Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-17-2008
Member at large

GilStump is on a distinguished road
Question I will replace my Standing Rigging myself... HELP!

I am a man with no money. I got a quote to replace my rigging for $3100 and without doing the forestay! It's in a furler, I guess that makes it tough. So, I am going to do it myself, by golly. I'm smart, I am good with my hands, I am sexy, so why not? I have looked into Brion Toss's stuff, but it seems to be more of a "fun with knots" sort of thing. I need a comprehensive source for questions such as, "How the hell do I know how much (and how thick) wire rope to order?", or "Should I climb the mast or step the damn thing?", or "Swaging vs. Sta-Norseman?", or "Should I have my frigging head examined for living on a thirty year old boat that I can't sail because its falling apart from PO neglect?".

Has anyone done this?
Know any good books?

Love,
Gilligan
Please don't google me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Contact Rigging.com they will cut to size and install all your fittings for you. You can can even send them your old rigging for them to match.

I really want to comment on the sexy comment, but I am being nice.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-17-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilStump View Post
I am a man with no money. I got a quote to replace my rigging for $3100 and without doing the forestay! It's in a furler, I guess that makes it tough. So, I am going to do it myself, by golly. I'm smart, I am good with my hands, I am sexy, so why not? I have looked into Brion Toss's stuff, but it seems to be more of a "fun with knots" sort of thing. I need a comprehensive source for questions such as, "How the hell do I know how much (and how thick) wire rope to order?", or "Should I climb the mast or step the damn thing?", or "Swaging vs. Sta-Norseman?", or "Should I have my frigging head examined for living on a thirty year old boat that I can't sail because its falling apart from PO neglect?".

Has anyone done this?
Know any good books?

Love,

Gilligan
Love??

Anyway, Gil, I'm not going to address all your questions here. All these issues and questions have been beaten to death in other threads here.
However, if you would like to PM me, I will give you my phone number and email address and would be happy to discuss any of your concerns or questions at length.
Love, Steve
Old 05-17-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hey Gil...take advantage of Knotheads offer. He is a pro rigger and can really help you out. Alternatively...you can take the mast down, slap on some masking tape and call yourself a trawler.
Old 05-17-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second taking Knothead up on his offer. Riggingonly.com is also a good resource, and a good place to get rigging advice, supplies and equipment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-27-2008
Member at large

GilStump is on a distinguished road
I am trying to get in touch with Knothead, but I am too new. Does this count as a post?
Please don't google me.
Old 05-27-2008
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
Your post sure does count...you're already at 8..just a couple of more
Old 05-27-2008

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
Hey Gil,

If you posted again, what number post would that be?
Old 05-27-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Its ..Easy...Easy ...Mostly Easy...Do it your self...Use staylocks...My 13 year old daughter can do one ( I have to cut the cable and finish tightening it though) if you have a small boat with deck stepped mast ..yes drop it, much easier..as far as your forestay in the furler if its an aluminum foil you may have to drill out the rivets and break it down as its is really tough to push cable that far. Still not that bad of job...What size you ask...Go same size as origional unless you plan on offshore work.

You mentioned Brian toss...By his stayloc DVD if you have not been shown how to do one and are worried about it...It is very good with a couple tricks worth the price of it.
Old 05-27-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilStump View Post
I am trying to get in touch with Knothead, but I am too new. Does this count as a post?

Gil, Stillraining makes a good point. Sta-loks are not difficult to assemble. (once you've done a few). They do cost considerably more than swage fittings but you won't need a swaging machine or a rigger. Although, if there is someone around that has some rigging experience, I think that you would do well to seek them out. Maybe just to get you started.
But however you do it, whether by reading or observing, do learn how to assemble them correctly. I've seen some pretty scary installations.

Whatever you do, please don't neglect your headstay. It's more than likely the same age as the rest of the rigging and it is a pretty important piece.
Let me know what kind of furling system you have and I can advise you as to replacing the wire.

I guess you can't see my profile page which has my email address so here it is.
ibeearigger{at}hotmail{dot}com
If you email me I can give you my phone number.

Last edited by knothead; 05-27-2008 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Good Advice