Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-20-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Bubb2-

The stackpack is a great idea, but a StackPack is a Doyle sail loft creation and is attached to the sail.... a better idea is to get a StackPack like sail cover that uses the sail track on the boom instead. Gui's boat has one.
Dog, sorry I used stack pack like I use band-aid. I have one on my boat also, not a Doyle. The sail cover slides in to the track on top of the boom and bolt rope on the foot of the main then also sides in after the sail cover is in place. For winter storage I take the boom off completely. Come spring I reattach the boom at the goose neck and the ridged Vang then run my jiffy reefing lines and I am done, 45 min if I stop for a beer.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Bubb2-

I don't understand why Doyle has to attach their StackPack to the damn sail. There really isn't any need for that if you have a loose-footed mainsail, which is pretty much the case for most modern sails.

How are the girls doing... still staying out later than you'd like? OF course to you, they'll always be six years old... I think that's true of all parents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-16-2008

BlueBustard is on a distinguished road
The best I've seen (so far) are E-Z-Jax (ezjaxdotcom.) Their advantage is that they are immediately stowable alongside the mast and boom while under sail. When needed, they can be swiftly deployed.

By doing some math and some advanced head-scratching, you could copy their design for your own personal use. But why bother when their cost is so reasonable?
Old 07-16-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Blue-

The home made lazy jack system on my boat can what the EZJax can, and were probably a lot cheaper to make. Will be leading the system back to the cockpit later this summer.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-16-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
SD,
Why are you leading it back to the cockpit? I usually don't touch mine. They are slack enough not to interfere with the main (other than a batten hanging up once in a while when raising the main) and still tight enough to be effective.
Old 07-16-2008

r2k815 is on a distinguished road
Can a lazy jack system also function as a boom topping lift? My San Juan still has the pig tail hook on the backstay, so this seems like a significant improvement.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2008
Telstar 28

I like the idea of slacking them off completely when sailing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshannon View Post
SD,
Why are you leading it back to the cockpit? I usually don't touch mine. They are slack enough not to interfere with the main (other than a batten hanging up once in a while when raising the main) and still tight enough to be effective.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-16-2008

EO32 is on a distinguished road
My homemade ones lift from the center of the spreaders and have some shock cord in them, so other than getting a batten caught while raising, they barely rest against the sail.
If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps better than most. A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble.

- E.B. White