Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-18-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Is the engine belt tight enough?

To usher in the new age of remote diagnostics, here is a video of my engine running. Does it look like the engine belt is too loose? Is this wobbling of the belt normal?
Engine running
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2008

timebandit is on a distinguished road
It could be a little tighter. It should not ride up and down in the pulley grove after about 60 seconds of running.
Rick
Old 05-19-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Could be...

It could be a combination of alignment and it being a little loose.. It should not ride up and down like that. Perhaps there is a rust spot on the pulley??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 05-19-2008
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
It could be a combination of alignment and it being a little loose.. It should not ride up and down like that. Perhaps there is a rust spot on the pulley??

Certainly a possibility. I spray the engine with Boeshield occasionally but it still tends to get surface rust - not sure why, there is no direct water ingress (though engine compartment certainly isn't humidity proof).

I tightened the belt a bit, will also clean the pulley again.

How can alignment be verified/adjusted?
Old 05-19-2008
Sea Slacker

BTW, I start to think I may be a closet powerboater (oh humanity!). The sight and sound of working diesel just makes me feel warm and fuzzy for reasons I cannot fully explain.
Old 05-19-2008

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
I didn't see how it was riding up and down. The idea of posting a video for opinions etc is a great one though - I'll keep that one in mind.

It sounded good and the belt looked fine to me, but don't count on my opinion for much. I always tell my wife "if something happens to you my next wife is going to be a diesel mechanic."
Old 05-19-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post

How can alignment be verified/adjusted?

If one of the fixed pulleys, not the alternator, has a flat side to it use a c-clamp to mount a straight edge to. Align the straight edge to run parallel with the belt. Then measure the gap between the straight edge and belt, as it leaves the pulley you have the straight edge clamped to, and then measure this gap where it enters the next pulley. Use a set of calipers it will make measuring the gap easier..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 05-19-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2008

dcherau is on a distinguished road
Just be sure you don't over tighten the belt as that will quickly ruin the alternator bearing. The same goes for the raw water pump. My Yanmar owners manual specifies a deflection of 10mm (that's .40 " or almost half an inch) The measurement is taken in the middle of the longest section of the belt using your finger to push inwards with moderate force. Again, it's better to err on the loose side. Same principle as wheel bearings on a trailer.

Nick, retired master mechanic
1993 Nimble Kodiak, s/v Susan D
Old 05-19-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
with all possible kudo's to Hal for millimeter measurements, Nicks point is more precise, belt deflection per your owners manual is more correct. Yanmar has a plethora of manuals out there, aftermarket included. Some wobble is intended and desired. It doesn't have to be precise, just stay on the pulley and be consistent.
Old 05-19-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
with all possible kudo's to Hal for millimeter measurements, Nicks point is more precise, belt deflection per your owners manual is more correct. Yanmar has a plethora of manuals out there, aftermarket included. Some wobble is intended and desired. It doesn't have to be precise, just stay on the pulley and be consistent.

The mm measurement is for proper belt alignment NOT tension.. Tension is easy, proper alignment can be a PITA especially if you've changed to an after market alternator....