Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-18-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Knot to create bridle on the anchor rode

Whenever I anchor I usually tie anchor line (rope) on one cleat, and then use rolling hitch to tie another line to it in front of the bow and take the load on the other cleat - creating a kind of a bridle. However, I always wondered if there is a better knot than rolling hitch - both in terms of holding power, and to avoid damaging the anchor rode.

Or, what else can be done to tie the boat on both sides equally?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2008

EO32 is on a distinguished road
I read in "Good Old Boat" where someone braided the last 20" of layed line, then wipped the ends and where the braid starts, and used a rolling hitch on rodes. I guess it helps it from slipping.

Last edited by EO32; 05-19-2008 at 06:43 PM. Reason: feet to inches
Old 05-19-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
A rolling hitch is one of the knots that I use daily. It's very handy for lots of applications.
Sometimes I'll tie two of them if I want extra security.
Old 05-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, it was the last 20 inches, not feet of a three-strand laid line.

The rolling hitch is pretty much it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-19-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Another stopper hitch is the Chinese stopper.
you make about a 20" double tail (braided & tappered) of the line you are using for the stopper. Then diamond wrap it around you anchor rode using the full length of the double tail. Secure with a nylon tie-tie with the bitter ends of the double tail underneath wrapped tightly.
Now this stopper we use on the mooring lines of ships when shifting from the capstan to the bitts. And while reading your post here I thought it just might work in this case also. There will be little or no damage to your anchor rode. To release snip the tie-tie with a pair of dykes. Any way give it a try and let us know on how this method works. I have confidence in its working your Anchor rode without damage and holding without slipping also.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 05-19-2008
Sea Slacker

Boasun, thanks for the info. Is there a guide somwhere, online may be, with pictures or some such for this knot? I am slightly dense when it comes to verbal/written explanations of knot tying - can only "get it" by looking at pictures - something about 3d thinking not being perfect It does sound like something I need to try though!
Old 05-19-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
For your Stopper line. About 30" from the end put a permanent whipping. Then separate the three strands and split them into. Braid three each into a single strand, tapering about every 3 to 6" pending on how much tapper you want. Then put a whipping at the ends.
To place on the rode. put the bight on the top of the rode and pass each leg underneath crossing and around to the top. Cross over on the top and pass underneath again while crossing. Repeat until you are at or near the bitter end of each leg. Twist the ends tightly and secure to the rode with one or two tie-ties. Experiment with the finishing off of the bitter ends until you have a method that works every time.
This will work like a cable sock clamp. It is the securing of the ends that will need to be experimented with to find a satisfactory method of securing it. The tie-ties is how I see it in my mind and should work. and maybe a tie-tie at the start end also after you have finished. Try it and see how it works.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 05-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IIRC, from what Boasun's describing, you really don't need to taper the braided sections.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-19-2008
Sea Slacker

Aha, got it - sounds like a neat idea - will see if I can get a line to try it out, hopefully next weekend. Thanks!