Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-18-2008
mikeandfaye

yanmar saildrive leg - replacing rubber seals?

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Mike, have no idea what you mean. The inner double rubber (water seal) or the lower rubber flap ? What you need ?
Old 05-21-2008
mikeandfaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by negrini View Post
Mike, have no idea what you mean. The inner double rubber (water seal) or the lower rubber flap ? What you need ?
The inner double rubber water seal. Sorry I was too brief.
I have Yanmar 2gm20's with sd20 saildrives in my cat 'Minke II'.
They are about 13 years old, have done around 3000 hrs and have the original seals. An engine room band (top) has corroded at the join and broken. Should I replace the band or go the whole hog and replace the lot (both seals and bands)? The boat is in the water and will need to be slipped to do any more than a top band replacement and the handbook I have is not clear about how to go about this.
My handbook is the factory manual. All of the illustrations are poor quality reproductions and it presumes I want do a complete strip and renewal of all wearing parts.

Last edited by mikeandfaye; 05-23-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-22-2008
mikeandfaye

comment incorporated into the above

Last edited by mikeandfaye; 05-23-2008 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-22-2008

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
Had a sail drive on a C26. I attempted a replacement and just about the time I had it out of the water it was apparant... this was NOT something I wanted to tackle... mess up one connection and your sunk... and as I recalled some 24 pressure point attachments existed on the flange interface and another 8 or so on the sail drive unit itself and all were corroded. Had to clean and almost totally rebuild the boot interface then replace the boot which is a bear to get pulled into position with out a tare. One major problem I noted was the unexpected build up of marine growth at the connection point and in the folds of the rubber seal.

Ended up the job done by someone who had previously done several others cost about $1,100 plus the cost of the boot and attaching hardware which I think ran about another $1,300... come to think of it I had the lower unit serviced at the same time so a few dollars were for that.

It is do-able job if you have the time and equipment... but was not worth the effort and potential problems to tackle myself. Getting the parts for a Volvo sail drive are not always an easy thing to obtain on short notice... and it always seemed to be some small insignificant looking seal part that was missing or could not be reused. None are insignificate.....