SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   boat fenders (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/43299-boat-fenders.html)

ephman 05-19-2008 02:12 PM

boat fenders

There are many differwent ideas about fenders and protecting your boat. I would like to hear about what kind of fenders work best and your experience with them.

Idiens 05-19-2008 04:22 PM

I just use a variety of cylindrical ones, in various diameters. often wondered if I should get a big ball, but never been happy with a good storage place for it. The newest ones are flat foam boards. Then I use fender socks to match the boat colour.

chucklesR 05-19-2008 04:25 PM

I use, 4 9 inchers, 3 8 inchers, a couple 3 inchers for my dinghy and a 8 foot folding flat foam for raft ups.

Experience wise - fenders on docks are better if tied to the dock, that way the hard pokey parts are covered and boat movement doesn't have to be accounted for. My biggest fenders stay at my dock.

jimmalkin 05-19-2008 04:34 PM

We use 4 cylindrical 10x26 with really nice polar-tek material covers from Maine Point in SW Harbor Maine www.mainepointfendercovers.com. I've found this material much less abrasive than the canvas like cloth. We also use fender boards that I made out of pvc pipe - each about 5.5 feet long - with drilled holes at each end through which I've run line that ties off to the lifelines. The pvc is light, stows easily on deck and was some scrap sitting around waiting for a project. The arrangement works very well with pilings and ranges of tide.

TrueBlue 05-19-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ephman (Post 316594)
There are many differwent ideas about fenders and protecting your boat.

We wost a fender, wast time we went out - fwoated away and never found it . . . just wike that wascally wabbit. ( Sorry, couldn't resist :D )

Freesail99 05-19-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue (Post 316671)
We wost a fender, wast time we went out - fwoated away and never found it . . . just wike that wascally wabbit. ( Sorry, couldn't resist :D )

I missed that and that was funny!

sailingdog 05-19-2008 04:50 PM

I think that the sale of his boat has finally unhinged his mind...

His wife sent me a recent photo of him...he's been dressing like this:

http://www.nonstick.com/sounds/Elmer.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue (Post 316671)

sailortjk1 05-19-2008 05:41 PM

In our home port/slip, I attached protetion to the pillings that are permenant. These are dock protectors by Taylor Made Products and not exactly fenders in the usual term.

On board we also carry for when cruising to ports other than our home port and staying on a transient slip, a set of Three Cylindrical Shaped Fenders and Two of the Ball Type.

I usually only deploy the big balls after I get settled in the slip. They can get in the way and cause you to get hung up if your not careful.

Dzedzej 05-19-2008 05:44 PM

Fenders Plus

We have a Privilege 43 Cat, and we carry 4 F7 fenders (15x38) 2 are used with a fender board, the others are spares. As you travel south, Bahamas, PR USVI BVI and down island, most marinas are just pilings, you will not find many floating docks. If you are heading south upsize your fenders...a small price to pay to prevent hull damage in more open harbours and heavy wake areas. And a fender board is a must, we use a 2x8 12 foot long, it may sound big but it has save us from damage several times. (hint) To prvent chafe on fender boards use 3/8 line, drill 2 inch hole in side centered 3 1/2 inch from top with hole saw, then with 1/2 inch bit drill down from top directly above 3 inch hole. Thread 3/8 line thru 1/2 inch hole and put a stopper knot in end...this will now sit in 3 inch hole with no line exposed to chafe. Hint 2...when anchored or moored leave 2 fenders over the side about 6 feet apart and just above water. When a friend or the guy collecting mooring fees stops by it will protect you and give them a spot to tie up, a 20 foot bow rider will not trail as well as your rubber dink, it also makes a good storage spot to get them off deck or out of dink (when stowed most dinghys become a junk drawer for fenders and lines).
Rich Dzedzej
S/V Sea Devil

feskoro 05-19-2008 05:49 PM

Boat Fenders - And don't forget "Fender Boards". These are basically 2X4s, or 2X6's (based on boat size), that are approx. 2 ft to 4 ft long. With a cushion at each end, and the cushions resting against the hull, they provide great protection against dock pilings, especially those with nuts, bolt heads, or nails protruding. They also allow longitudinal as well as vertical boat movement....generally much more than the typical cylindrical inflated fenders do. You can purchase them complete or merely the pads for the ends from your local marine supply store. They work great on sailboats as well as power boats....I didn't say that did i?