Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-19-2008

ephman is on a distinguished road
boat fenders

There are many differwent ideas about fenders and protecting your boat. I would like to hear about what kind of fenders work best and your experience with them.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2008
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
I just use a variety of cylindrical ones, in various diameters. often wondered if I should get a big ball, but never been happy with a good storage place for it. The newest ones are flat foam boards. Then I use fender socks to match the boat colour.
Old 05-19-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I use, 4 9 inchers, 3 8 inchers, a couple 3 inchers for my dinghy and a 8 foot folding flat foam for raft ups.

Experience wise - fenders on docks are better if tied to the dock, that way the hard pokey parts are covered and boat movement doesn't have to be accounted for. My biggest fenders stay at my dock.
Old 05-19-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
We use 4 cylindrical 10x26 with really nice polar-tek material covers from Maine Point in SW Harbor Maine www.mainepointfendercovers.com. I've found this material much less abrasive than the canvas like cloth. We also use fender boards that I made out of pvc pipe - each about 5.5 feet long - with drilled holes at each end through which I've run line that ties off to the lifelines. The pvc is light, stows easily on deck and was some scrap sitting around waiting for a project. The arrangement works very well with pilings and ranges of tide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 05-19-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ephman View Post
There are many differwent ideas about fenders and protecting your boat.
We wost a fender, wast time we went out - fwoated away and never found it . . . just wike that wascally wabbit. ( Sorry, couldn't resist )
Old 05-19-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
We wost a fender, wast time we went out - fwoated away and never found it . . . just wike that wascally wabbit. ( Sorry, couldn't resist )

I missed that and that was funny!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think that the sale of his boat has finally unhinged his mind...

His wife sent me a recent photo of him...he's been dressing like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-19-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
In our home port/slip, I attached protetion to the pillings that are permenant. These are dock protectors by Taylor Made Products and not exactly fenders in the usual term.

On board we also carry for when cruising to ports other than our home port and staying on a transient slip, a set of Three Cylindrical Shaped Fenders and Two of the Ball Type.

I usually only deploy the big balls after I get settled in the slip. They can get in the way and cause you to get hung up if your not careful.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 05-19-2008
Capt Rich

Dzedzej is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Fenders Plus

We have a Privilege 43 Cat, and we carry 4 F7 fenders (15x38) 2 are used with a fender board, the others are spares. As you travel south, Bahamas, PR USVI BVI and down island, most marinas are just pilings, you will not find many floating docks. If you are heading south upsize your fenders...a small price to pay to prevent hull damage in more open harbours and heavy wake areas. And a fender board is a must, we use a 2x8 12 foot long, it may sound big but it has save us from damage several times. (hint) To prvent chafe on fender boards use 3/8 line, drill 2 inch hole in side centered 3 1/2 inch from top with hole saw, then with 1/2 inch bit drill down from top directly above 3 inch hole. Thread 3/8 line thru 1/2 inch hole and put a stopper knot in end...this will now sit in 3 inch hole with no line exposed to chafe. Hint 2...when anchored or moored leave 2 fenders over the side about 6 feet apart and just above water. When a friend or the guy collecting mooring fees stops by it will protect you and give them a spot to tie up, a 20 foot bow rider will not trail as well as your rubber dink, it also makes a good storage spot to get them off deck or out of dink (when stowed most dinghys become a junk drawer for fenders and lines).
Rich Dzedzej
S/V Sea Devil
Old 05-19-2008

feskoro is on a distinguished road
Boat Fenders - And don't forget "Fender Boards". These are basically 2X4s, or 2X6's (based on boat size), that are approx. 2 ft to 4 ft long. With a cushion at each end, and the cushions resting against the hull, they provide great protection against dock pilings, especially those with nuts, bolt heads, or nails protruding. They also allow longitudinal as well as vertical boat movement....generally much more than the typical cylindrical inflated fenders do. You can purchase them complete or merely the pads for the ends from your local marine supply store. They work great on sailboats as well as power boats....I didn't say that did i?