New York-listed Garmin is mystery bidder for Raymarine - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I seriously doubt that anyone is going to do this... it basically cuts a huge profit center from their bottom line...so don't hold your breath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37SOLARE View Post
I'm PO'ed at the fact I can't get a plotter to use the data I've already paid for with my taxes.

When is someone going to start utilizing the NOAA vector & raster chart data on a plotter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
With GPSes dropping to cut-throat commodity price levels, and cellco's trying to force customers to a subscription navigation model instead of selling boxes, it makes sense for Garmin to diversify before they stall out.

And considering Garmin's paranoia about proprietary knowledge and Ray-whatever's love for proprietary data bus...it sadly sounds like a good fit, too.
Old 05-20-2008
Junior Birdman

Iflyka200s is on a distinguished road
The Garmin and UPS Aviation Technology/Apollo was a pretty good fit on the aviation side.

I am pretty happy with Garmin and their service...
Old 05-20-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I seriously doubt that anyone is going to do this... it basically cuts a huge profit center from their bottom line...so don't hold your breath.
It can be done today. There exists good quality gps/chart software for various architectures. I can source decent embedded platform with appropriate monitor that would run such a software today. The cost even to custom-make it would be comparable to similar GPS unit, and would be very much price compatible if mass-produced. Got money to invest?

It is just that current manufacturers make money off of selling charts and those who are wise enough to use NOAA charts, probably can use a laptop So there may not be much market for it. Considering a cost of Garmin with preloaded charts - thats not much of a surprize.
Old 05-20-2008
Sea Slacker

I am reasonably happy with Garmin gps (when it works, previous one died not 5 months in service). Garmin service was excellent - quick replacement unit, no hassles.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to be updating the charts for preloaded units.
Old 05-20-2008
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
Unfortunately, they don't seem to be updating the charts for preloaded units.
I believe that there is a way to update the charts. (I brought this up a couple of weeks ago.) Look here

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 05-20-2008
H27 "Shady Lady"

Greenman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperwhite View Post
Which thread? I missed it, or it was entitled something sailnetty like "OH NO", or "you gotta see this " or maybe "Wassssup!!"
Interestingly enough I was thinking about posting the same thing on the "No Offense" thread. People name their threads so randomly it's tough to do a good search sometimes.

On the Raymarine sale, it may take a year or more to see what the real effects of the sale are. Lets hope it works out great for sailors.
Old 05-20-2008
Sea Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I believe that there is a way to update the charts. (I brought this up a couple of weeks ago.) Look here
How did you find out about the update and where do you get the chart list? When I enter the serial number of my 3210 on the web site in "update charts" it tells me that no update is available (and been telling that forever, even though I know for a fact some of the charts are out of date, like Alligator river entrance in NC).

I need to re-check the serial for the new unit they sent me as a replacement, though I guess may be it is already updated. In any case, never seen the chart update work.
Old 05-20-2008

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
SD - Adam Smith ("the invisible hand") taught us otherwise. When you say "their bottom line" you assume there will be no competition and logically some will emerge. It's hard to see how chart datum will remain in proprietary formats forever because it doesn't change rapidly, and as T37 says, the data is already available via NOAA - there just isn't a good unit for display.

The future I see developing is a Google Earth display with chart overlays like EarthNC has done. It will work OK now with a laptop, but that's not my thing at sea. It takes a lot of memory, but I'm sure the miniaturization will come soon enough to at least the point of a chartplotter.

My Blackberry has a GPS that displays (the boat) on Google Earth maps. The boat flashes and it is really great in the Neuse River. The problem of course is that it relies on a phone connection for the internet to get the Google Earth images, and of course, there are no chart overlays.

We'll get there, but it may take a couple of years. I just hate having to pay Garmin and Raymarine both for the same data (essentially), just because I need a handheld and a chartplotter.
Old 05-21-2008
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
How did you find out about the update and where do you get the chart list? When I enter the serial number of my 3210 on the web site in "update charts" it tells me that no update is available (and been telling that forever, even though I know for a fact some of the charts are out of date, like Alligator river entrance in NC).

I need to re-check the serial for the new unit they sent me as a replacement, though I guess may be it is already updated. In any case, never seen the chart update work.
Per JiffyLube:
Quote:
One way the upgrades work is by paying for the upgrades that they put on a data card (they put a deposit on the data card in case you keep it), then upload that data card to the plotter, then send back the data card and they return the deposit....pretty simple really.
I hope this helps!

-Ed

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems