SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Impeller Trick

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
I changed my impeller this last weekend and thought I would share a trick I have never done before. Maybe it will help some of you??

Usually when changing the impeller, I "twist it" in the direction I want it to spin in and push it back into the slot, Depending on the space you have and access, this is kinda tough to do and often you drop it or it tries to pop out is it is not all the way in.

But here is a neat little trick: Get a zip tie. Squeeze the imeller blades in the direction you want them to spin in and zip tie them down that way. Now, super grease up the blades with dish soap for lubrication. I also wipe the dish soap on the inside of the pump housing. Now, simply push the impeller back in the slot. It goes in effortlessly and the zip tie pops off in your hand.

Piece of cake. I did it on my main, my genny, and dad's main. It makes changing the impeller a lot quicker and easier.

Hope that helps some of you.

- CD

#3 ·
Thanks CD, years ago I had to buy a small jar of a lubricant made for O-rings (I think) that was expensive but has turned out to be a lifetime supply of impellor lube instead of the soap. Besides easing installation it protects the impellor until the water gets to it.

#4 ·
I've been using impellers on my main for years. They add a couple of knots.

#7 · (Edited)
That's a good trick CD - will remember it next time I'm hanging upside down in my engine bilge.

However, what I've always done effortlessly, is to insert the impeller using needle-nose pliers. One prong is inserted into the bronze bushing, the other gripping against the rubber cladding, between two vanes. This way a lubed impeller is easily inserted, while simultaneously pushing and twisting into the pump housing - and, can be removed in similar fashion. When halfway in of course, the pliers are removed and it's then pushed in the remaining distance by hand.

#9 ·
For those of you unfamiliar with a Catalina main sail, here's a photo of it...

and here's a photo of the Catalina CD-edition Genny:

#12 ·
Given how much his solar panels and bbq grills weigh, I'm not too surprised. :) That's a 200% Catalina Genny. :)

#18 ·
I think we hit a sore spot... :) CD appears to be unhappy with us... :) Truth hurts, don't it... :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.