Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-30-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NautiG View Post
I just bought a delta like Sailhog's. Any advice on methods of deployment and retrieval, as it would differ from the danforths I'm accustomed to? The literature describes the delta as "self-launching", whatever that means. Also, there are two eyelets on the shank. One at the end and one towards the plow-head. How is this second eyelet meant to be used?

Currently, retrieving an anchor without a windlass, I pull in the rode until the boat is directly above the anchor. Then I tie off the chain and put the engine in forward until the anchor breaks loose from the bottom.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
Captain's Blog

The hole at the plow head can be used to rig an anchor trip line, or shackle another anchor in tandem as Giu does, or to run a pin through on your bow roller (as I do) so the anchor won't come loose and self deploy in rough conditions.
Self launching means that in a bow roller...once you release the anchor chain or rode, the weight of the plow head will cause the anchor to drop by itself.
My own technique with the Delta is to let the head hit the bottome then slowly pay out the rode as the current or wind pushes you back. At about 1/3 of the intended rode, take a quick snub around a cleat to make the anchor bite...you will feel it do so. Then let out the rest of the rode intended and watch for a bit to insure you are not dragging. Some like to set with the engine. I find this tends to pull the anchor out in softer bottoms and prefer to let the wind and tides do the work.
Old 05-30-2008

EO32 is on a distinguished road
Some people tie on floats so you can see the anchor location.
If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps better than most. A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble.

- E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I tie a anchor float to tell me where the anchor lies, but don't use line heavy enough to trip the anchor mainly in case some idiot runs over it - I really don't want a boat that close to me to suddenly have his/her prop caught up and loose power going in who knows what direction.
Old 05-30-2008

NautiG is on a distinguished road
Thanks Cam. We're leaving Baltimore next week for Martha's Vineyard. We don't have to be there until the end of June, so it'll be a leisurely cruise. I'll give your delta anchoring technique a try.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
Captain's Blog