Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-21-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
John,
Thanks for the offer, Cap'n. I'd almost certainly jump all over it if I didn't need it for this weekend. In the event that we can't go, I might give you a call. The Danforth sets pretty well, but it also has a tendency to drag with the reversing current. PB actually pointed that out to me a few weeks back when he was here, and I've since had an experience that confirmed what he told me.

So Sapper's back from his Roman holiday!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Hate to hijack
I only draw two feet so I tend to anchor shallow.
I thought the best way to anchor in current that reverses (tidal) which is pretty much everywhere here around the bay was fore and aft. Current really doesn't affect me as much as wind.
Old 05-21-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
So Sapper's back from his Roman holiday!
yeah i'm back....just been very busy
Old 05-21-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
According to Halekai, the Manson Supreme isn't as good, and he owns the Spade, the Manson Supreme, the Rocna and a few others... so he's got real world experience with them. I've never used the Manson Supreme, so can't comment on its performance directly... I did just get a Delta 22 lb. for use as a secondary anchor, with a Rocna 15 kg. as my primary.
To clarify, the performance of my Manson Supreme was identical to my Rocna. In that I mean in over 100 sets and anchorings it set and held at a rate of 100% in the first try and never dragged and never un-set on a wind or tide shift. My Rocna has done the same and they are the ONLY two anchors I've owned that have been able to do this.

That being said the Rocna is clearly a better & more robustly built anchor than the Manson. Do I think someone will break a Manson? Probably not, so in that sense it just means the Rocna is over built and I like that..

So again, my Rocna and Manson have given me 100% reliability but owning both I can honestly say the Rocna is the better built/constructed anchor..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 05-21-2008

merttan is on a distinguished road
lucky bastard

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.
Old 05-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Thanks for the clarification Halekai.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-21-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
To clarify, the performance of my Manson Supreme was identical to my Rocna. In that I mean in over 100 sets and anchorings it set and held at a rate of 100% in the first try and never dragged and never un-set on a wind or tide shift. My Rocna has done the same and they are the ONLY two anchors I've owned that have been able to do this.

That being said the Rocna is clearly a better & more robustly built anchor than the Manson. Do I think someone will break a Manson? Probably not, so in that sense it just means the Rocna is over built and I like that..

So again, my Rocna and Manson have given me 100% reliability but owning both I can honestly say the Rocna is the better built/constructed anchor..
So if both have done the same - how do you come to the conclusion the Rocna is any better than the Manson... your writing of experience is contradictory as I the casual reader seem to get they both performed the same thus if one is priced lessor then the lessor price is still the winner..

Colour me Colored..

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 05-22-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Jody..lets try an example. You've been out mountain climbing and you've fallen in a crevasse. Search and rescue arrives and says they're gonna winch you our of there but you have to pay for the rental on the winch from the winch rental guy and you have a choice of two. Both have been tested 50 times with people your weight with no problems whatsoever...but winch #2 has wire that is twice as thick and titanuim gears and is die cast rather than welded. Unfortunately it costs 1000 dollars a day to rent whereas the other winch costs $500. Which one will you rent?
Some people like to have the best made product even if actual performance is the same....Others like to get the best buy..a product that performs in a superior manner at a less than expected price.
Old 05-22-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Jody..lets try an example. You've been out mountain climbing and you've fallen in a crevasse. Search and rescue arrives and says they're gonna winch you our of there but you have to pay for the rental on the winch from the winch rental guy and you have a choice of two. Both have been tested 50 times with people your weight with no problems whatsoever...but winch #2 has wire that is twice as thick and titanuim gears and is die cast rather than welded. Unfortunately it costs 1000 dollars a day to rent whereas the other winch costs $500. Which one will you rent?
Some people like to have the best made product even if actual performance is the same....Others like to get the best buy..a product that performs in a superior manner at a less than expected price.
Dude - get back to you SO, That is so unrealistic and uhm... quite the complimentary to go with what works. I am going to go with what is reasonably sound... not just what costs more.. if both do the job - then what is the issue - are you being subsidized by Racnor now?

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 05-22-2008
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
So if both have done the same - how do you come to the conclusion the Rocna is any better than the Manson... your writing of experience is contradictory as I the casual reader seem to get they both performed the same thus if one is priced lessor then the lessor price is still the winner..

Colour me Colored..
I take what halekai36 is trying to say is, they are both equally good anchors, but the Rocna is better only in that it's more heavily constructed...but they are both built good. Sort of like the difference between Chevy and GMC...both good trucks (IMO), but GMC is suppose to be more heavily constructed.