Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-21-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
anchor set-up...

This Friday I'm sailing with a friend up to Edisto Island. I'd planned to stay at the Marina, but it's Memorial Day weekend and they're out of slip space. However, I can anchor on Big Bay Creek, which is a tidal river with strong, reversing currents. At the moment I only have a 35-pound Danforth. I think I'm going to need to shackle some chain and a second anchor to the Danforth, or visa-versa in order to hold to the creekbed, which is a fairly light mud.

Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? What anchor would be the recommendation of the learned panel?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hawg...I would go for a completely secondary anchor on a short (10') chain/rope rode. Obviously you don't have time for a Rocna or Spade to arrive. Can you get a manson at the local West? If not...get a Delta. Drop 'em at 90 degrees to each other...making an expanded V off your bow. Have fun!

The other option given your cruising grounds would be a Fortress on the 45 degree fluke mud setting. You might end up chucking the danforth in a locker for secondary use only since the Fortress will be lighter weight and better holding.
Old 05-21-2008
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Having only one anchor, chain and rode is the start of bad news. If stuck with that situation, I think you will have to be up and about at the change of tide to lift and reset your Danforth (which I think is fairly good in soft mud).
Old 05-21-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
As far as an anchor goes, is a Manson Supreme that much of a drop off from a Rocna ?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Danforths and other fluke style anchors are generally bad news in shifting current/wind situations. Get a Delta 22 if you can, and use that as a secondary anchor... It should be fine for a boat the size of the Hogpen.

According to Halekai, the Manson Supreme isn't as good, and he owns the Spade, the Manson Supreme, the Rocna and a few others... so he's got real world experience with them. I've never used the Manson Supreme, so can't comment on its performance directly... I did just get a Delta 22 lb. for use as a secondary anchor, with a Rocna 15 kg. as my primary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-21-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Actually Dawg, Halekai said it wasn't that much of a difference between the Manson Supreme and Rocna. West does carry the Manson Supreme, which if you purchase one Hawg, I'd make that my primary and the Danforth as the second anchor on the short chain/rope rode. You should have at least 30' of chain on your primary (length of the boat).

Have fun, however you sort out the anchor issue.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-21-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Thanks, gentlemen!

One last question: Is the secondary anchor that you all speak of set 90 degrees in the V that Cam described, or does it trail the primary anchor?
Old 05-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Set it at 90˚ from the primary.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-21-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like an excellent opportunity to justify buying new boat goodies. Upping your primary anchor is good, and the danforth will stash away pretty easily.....everybody wins
Old 05-21-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Hog,

That's a pretty good sized Danforth for your boat -- you should get good holding with it if it takes the bottom. But a second anchor type would certainly be desirable.

If you don't absolutely need it for this weekend, I have a 25 lb Delta that I'd sell very reasonably (with or without the chain/line rode). PM me if interested.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT