Bleeding your Yanmar Engine - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 Old 07-28-2008

I don't bleed my lines when I change fuel filters, (Yanmare 3GM) and have never had a problem.

beej67, Checkered Past, 1980 32' Pearson 323, Panama City FL
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 Old 07-30-2008

On my Yanmar 2QM15 engine the return fuel line doesn't run to the fuel tank, but to another input connection to the Yanmar's local fuel filter housing assembly. When I had a mechanic service the engine after buying my boat, he bled the fuel system by simply using a hand held pump like he used to extract the dirty oil, and connected it to the end of the return hose. As he applied suction, the fuel was pulled from the tank, through the fuel line, through the new Racor assembly, through more fuel line, through the Yanmar fuel piping system and out the return line. Once he saw some come out the return line, he just connected the hose back to the fuel filter assembly, tightened the hose clamp, and the engine fired right up on the first try.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LittleWingCA
1980 Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Sailing Grounds: Southern California
post #23 of 39 Old 08-14-2008

The lift pump sounds like a good idea. Which Facet model would be the right size for a 20HP 3GM(D)? I noticed Jody installed it after the Racor. Is there a reason not to install it before the Racor?
post #24 of 39 Old 08-14-2008 Thread Starter

Any
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorByFate View Post
The lift pump sounds like a good idea. Which Facet model would be the right size for a 20HP 3GM(D)? I noticed Jody installed it after the Racor. Is there a reason not to install it before the Racor?
Any of the three models they sell will work - I opted for the largest for optional ability to do fuel polishing if the need arised. I install after the Racor because the racor is designed to be the primary fuel filter. The Facets do also have a fuel filter - but not nearly the capacity ( < 5% of the Racor) - so I suggest putting it afterwards...

-- Jody

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

post #25 of 39 Old 08-16-2008

I agree with a sqeeze bulb, I have it for 27 years on diesel fuel and it is still working.
post #26 of 39 Old 08-16-2008

Great post. I have the squeeze bulb installed before the Racor, works great and for $13 what a value. Whether electric pump or squeeze bulb, they both make bleeding so much easier than the little manual actuatuion of the Yanmar lift pump.

Jim Woods
Halcyon 1986 P33-2 #31
post #27 of 39 Old 08-16-2008
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALCYON View Post
Great post. I have the squeeze bulb installed before the Racor, works great and for $13 what a value. Whether electric pump or squeeze bulb, they both make bleeding so much easier than the little manual actuatuion of the Yanmar lift pump.
JIM-- I keep meaning to do this because of your prior recommendations. This will go on the winter project list. Thanks!

Mitch
P-33-2 #146

SailorMitch
Sailing winged keels since 1989.
1.20.09 Bush's last day the end of an error !! Hopefully we still have a constitution and economy left by then.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
post #28 of 39 Old 08-17-2009

The pictures were a great asset to the description. However there is one small error. The last picture posted is labeled with "hi" and "low" side backward on the injectors. The fuel lines entering the side of the injectors are the "high side" (17mm) and the banjo bolt (14mm) on the top of the injectors are the "low side" return.
post #29 of 39 Old 03-22-2012

Re: Bleeding your Yanmar Engine

I'm sending this to build up my posts so I can see the pictures. I guess that's how it works. Going to change the filters on my 2GM this weekend and keep reading about the horror stories of getting air in the line, lol. I think I'm going to run it, change out the primary, run it again for 1/2 hour, then change out the primary, then run it again for an hour to make sure it's not going to stop on me. Gotta move my Watkins 30 down the TN river this weekend.
post #30 of 39 Old 03-22-2012

Re: Bleeding your Yanmar Engine

Meant the secondary.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.