Cheap Race Sail vs Longer Term Dacron Headsail - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 Old 05-22-2008
On the hard

I just put on an older North Norlam racing sail that I bought for $300. It has much better shape than the Genny I blew out and is a 145 as well. Used racing sails can be a bargain. If it fits right, go for it. Twist is usually built into a headsail as is sheeting angle, especially when dealing with laminate racing sails.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 05-23-2008

First, I can't believe they want $6200 for a new one, but given that, I say buy the race for $1200 assuming it fits. Chances are you will not have that boat in five years, anyway.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-23-2008

My .02:

Race guys use sails up relatively quickly around here (at least the deep-pocketed ones) and it isn't uncommon for a "hot boat" to replace an entire suit of sails in ranges from every season to every three years. I have been given or have purchased for a few hundred bucks several sails from C&C 33s and C&C 34s, both of which match my Viking 33 on the hoist and equal about 145% in area, being slightly shorter on the foot or J measurement. The mains are about six inches taller.

I have had the tape luffs converted at my sailmaker for about $150 for a number one. Consequently, I have a Kevlar main and a Kevlar composite No. 1 and a newish dacron No. 3 at a cost to me of about $600. The main isn't in great shape now, as it truly was nearly done, but the No. 1 and No. 3 are both going strong.

I have a Mylar No. 1 and 2 from a C&C 34 in bags awaiting "conversion" to hanks. They were free to me, and having them hanked will cost about $200.

Please understand that I cruise fast; I don't race. These sails are strictly three or four-season wonders, but at that price, they beat even a well-cut, well-made Dacron amortized over 20 years (which was the age of the sails I got with the boat in 1999). Basically, for me, "recycling" slightly worn race sails has been a good strategy, much in the same sense that buying a two-year-old used car and selling it at four years old is probably the cheapest and most reliable way to own a car while avoiding the trap of depreciation.

Just my experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.