11PM. I looked in a cabinet and noticed that a seacock was closed. Hmmm, I thought I reopened that one after I cleaned the strainer. I grabbed the handle to open it, and there was absolutely no friction. Odd, it shouldn't be that easy. Then I noticed a few drips. This wasn't looking good...
Surprise! The handle came right off. A stream of water...
I put the handle back in quickly and thought for a moment. The leaking stopped, so this wasn't an emergency.
I pulled the handle out again to get a good look:
All the wood plugs are way too big for this hole. I could certainly have found something else to plug it with, but the handle worked so well that there was no reason to search further. I couldn’t expect the handle to remain in place without a little help.
As usual, a piece of duct tape is the answer:
So now my boat is held together with duct tape.
Luckily, I know exactly what should be done. Thanks, Halekai!
Replacing Thruhulls and Seacocks
Oh, the fun of a new-to-me boat....