Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-23-2008

WinterRiver is on a distinguished road
Seacock surprise

11PM. I looked in a cabinet and noticed that a seacock was closed. Hmmm, I thought I reopened that one after I cleaned the strainer. I grabbed the handle to open it, and there was absolutely no friction. Odd, it shouldn't be that easy. Then I noticed a few drips. This wasn't looking good...

Surprise! The handle came right off. A stream of water...

I put the handle back in quickly and thought for a moment. The leaking stopped, so this wasn't an emergency.

I pulled the handle out again to get a good look:

All the wood plugs are way too big for this hole. I could certainly have found something else to plug it with, but the handle worked so well that there was no reason to search further. I couldn’t expect the handle to remain in place without a little help.

As usual, a piece of duct tape is the answer:

So now my boat is held together with duct tape.

Luckily, I know exactly what should be done. Thanks, Halekai!
Replacing Thruhulls and Seacocks

Oh, the fun of a new-to-me boat....

Last edited by WinterRiver; 05-23-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... you cheated... you didn't try bubble gum first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-23-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Was that valve..?

Was that valve a bronze UL Listed and marine rated unit or a Home Center special. The handle looks to be stainless but that doesn't mean much these days..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 05-23-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It looks like it was brass...the shaft on that handle is awfully pink...which is a sign of dezincification... more common on brass than on bronze, which has little or no zinc content.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 05-23-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterRiver View Post
So now my boat is held together with duct tape.
ROFL!

As soon as I read "I put the handle back in quickly and thought for a moment. The leaking stopped, so this wasn't an emergency." I thought "Duct tape."

Jim
Old 05-23-2008

WinterRiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
Was that valve a bronze UL Listed and marine rated unit or a Home Center special. The handle looks to be stainless but that doesn't mean much these days..
I honestly don't know if it's a home center special. It's a full seacock with a round flange, not just a valve. The surveyor didn't flag it as not marine. But you never know...

Here's the best pic I could get of one of the handles. Maybe someone will recognize the logo. I couldn't find any other indication of a brand.

There are 4 of these on the boat. One is now held together with duct tape. Two are seized. (Knew that, negotiated that.) One works but the handle has some play in it. All 4 will be replaced. No more blue handled seacocks on my boat!
Old 05-23-2008
Telstar 28

A lot of the brass home-depot specials seem to have blue handles... don't know if they're the same brand...but just thought I'd make the observation. Good thing you're ditching them all.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-23-2008
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I'm curious to know if a brass valve from Home Depot, intended for us in hydronic home heating systems, can be retrofitted for boat use ( I don't know - which is why I'm asking ).

If so, is a typical marine grade, female mushroom fitting, screwed onto the threaded male - water side of the fitting?
Old 05-23-2008
Telstar 28

TB—

While a brass ball valve for a home hydronic heating system would probably fit, since the threading is standardized... it probably wouldn't last as long, since it probably has brass in it rather than marine-grade bronze. Most home heating systems use relatively pure fresh water for them, and don't have the corrosion issues that saltwater presents.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 05-23-2008
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I realize that SD - my question responded to your last post, stating that lots of blue handles occur on home depot specials. I thought you had first hand knowledge of their obvious, inappropriately adaptive re-use.