Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-23-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I'd like to add some generic info to that. While it could be a bad problem - odds are it isn't. It is a 1995 Yanmar - which in boat years is a brand new engine and Yanmars are, generally speaking, very reliable, tolerant of abuse (which they receive as any other boat component) and usually fail badly quite rarely.

I think since you are new to engines, it is certainly worth asking the mechanic to come take a look. Personally, I'd bet if the yard did some work on the engine previously, they simply did not properly clamp a hose or something of this nature. Happens all the time. Let them fix it, and then learn more about the engine and try to maintain it yourself when you can.

As a side note - boat repair people of all kinds are not particularly prompt (I put it as nice as I can) So, asking any of them to come out immediately is both unlikely to work and counterproductive. I am a fairly impatient person, and like things to be done quickly (especially if I pay for that) but when it comes to boats - an old adage holds "lack of planning on your side does not constitute emergency on mine", or rather "nothing on your side constitutes emergency on mine". So, take a deep breath, go sit on the stern and drink a beer, and have mechanic look at it tomorrow when he's back at work. It will be all right eventually.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Check the primary coolant level. I suspect that it has breached somewhere... probably a hose clamp or something.
Pour some more in there... fresh water will do for now... and watch for drips. Start the motor if you have to and check again.
It is likely to be very simple.
I am wary though that the motor failed so soon into ownership.
I don't think the block will be cracked, though the overheating will not have helped much, and it sounds like it was badly overheated. Keep an eye on the oil level in the sump. If it rises and turns milky, the cooland it leaking into the motor oil.
Old 05-24-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
How come no engine temp alarm on a '95 Benneteau? Or wasn't it working?
Funny thing about (most?) engine temp gauges: They don't work if there's no coolant. Again: Same thing that happened to our slip neighbour: He got no over-temp alarm. Same thing happened to me years and years and years ago in mom's car. Drivin' down the road, look in the rear-view mirror, notice "smoke" trailing me. Check the dash and all's normal. Temp gauge was actually low, IIRC. Pulled into a gas station, radiator was dry as a bone. Caught it in time. There was no damage. But probably just barely. (It had been a catastrophic failure of something, I recall not what.)

Jim
Old 05-24-2008

waynemk is on a distinguished road
Wow! Thanks you all for your input and advice.

It is a coolant level issue. I have a slow leak and am dropping about a 1/4 cup of antifreeze every 2 or 3 hours. I topped off the system and was able to return to my home port. The leak is new as there was no antifreeze under the engine when i took it from the yacht yard.

I got lucky and immediately after making the original post I got a call from the mechanic who was in the harbor for an unrelated service call. he confirmed it was a coolant issue. Despite asking to have all hoses replaced and checked, he didn't do it so it isn't an issue of forgetting to re-tighten a clamp.

Someone thought it took 10 minutes of cranking to start. that was not the case. She overheated 10 minutes into a 70% power run.

I did get a survey but the boat was out of the water so we couldn't sea trial it. The boat was impeccably maintained by the previous owner and both the cabin and engine are spotless and look brand new. The mechanic commented that he thought the engine may have been replaced as it looked so good. That said, the tachometer and overheat indicator both don't work and will be fixed after i get the leak.

I fully intend to become an expert on all systems on the boat. I hope some day to check out and sail around the world for 2-5 years. I better know how to fix everything on the boat for that. That said, tomorrow i am going to find my leak after doing a lot of research tonight. I never owned a car so i have no engine experience but read manuals really well.

Once again, thank you all for the hand holding. i will give it back someday.
Old 05-24-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemk View Post
Wow! Thanks you all for your input and advice.

It is a coolant level issue. I have a slow leak and am dropping about a 1/4 cup of antifreeze every 2 or 3 hours. I topped off the system and was able to return to my home port. The leak is new as there was no antifreeze under the engine when i took it from the yacht yard.

I got lucky and immediately after making the original post I got a call from the mechanic who was in the harbor for an unrelated service call. he confirmed it was a coolant issue. Despite asking to have all hoses replaced and checked, he didn't do it so it isn't an issue of forgetting to re-tighten a clamp.

Someone thought it took 10 minutes of cranking to start. that was not the case. She overheated 10 minutes into a 70% power run.

I did get a survey but the boat was out of the water so we couldn't sea trial it. The boat was impeccably maintained by the previous owner and both the cabin and engine are spotless and look brand new. The mechanic commented that he thought the engine may have been replaced as it looked so good. That said, the tachometer and overheat indicator both don't work and will be fixed after i get the leak.

I fully intend to become an expert on all systems on the boat. I hope some day to check out and sail around the world for 2-5 years. I better know how to fix everything on the boat for that. That said, tomorrow i am going to find my leak after doing a lot of research tonight. I never owned a car so i have no engine experience but read manuals really well.

Once again, thank you all for the hand holding. i will give it back someday.

Is this guy adorable or what?

Wayne, you sound like a very responsible sailor. And anything I said probably just muddied the water, but you're welcome.

Hopefully, next time I hold your hand, I won't be wearing a yellow polka dot bikini.
Old 09-05-2008
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
this is an addition to the checks for water in the oil. when you remove the oil filler cap see if there are water drops on it. any water in the oil will evaporate and condense in the valve cover. you will see this before there is enough to turn the oil milky . we always made this check when inspecting engines . captbillc----retired diesel mechanic. ps you guys gave him some excellent advice !
Old 09-05-2008
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Used oil is brown...so amber through dark brown is good... black is bad, milky grey is really bad.
Ummm, actually, in a diesel, used engine oil is black....very black, and that's after very limited run time. In most cases, it's not bad. It's normal. It has to do with the soot which forms during combustion.